1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Requested Help with Microsoft Outlook.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CPUFritz, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CPUFritz

CPUFritz Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Some of you may know me; a few months back I requested help on a malware issue I was having with my computer. My recent problem (if you can call it that) is not so much a nuisance as it is a slight nagging thing that I've been meaning to fix.

During the February of 2005, my old computer (And I mean old- it was a Compaq from 1998) decided to kick the bucket, and so my family shelled out some money to purchase a newer model computer. It's a Dell computer running off of Windows XP: Home Edition. When I had set it up, I created both my account (as an administrator), my parent's (also an administrator), and my kid brother's (a regular user).

Now, I had decided to do most of the basic set-up on my account, since I'm the one that is most computer-savvy in my family. As a result, I set up our sole e-mail account under my account name. After a bit of troubleshooting, I managed to get the server working (Cox Communications, if it matters), and all e-mail from our family's account was able to flow in and out.

Now we fast forward to this year. It has recently come to my attention that I would like to create an account solely for me, for me to contact friends and family I've met in various places. As such, I would like to move the "family" e-mail account from my Administrator account to my parent's, and then place my new e-mail address into my account. The only problem is this:

I've gone to "Tools: E-Mail Accounts" on my Windows Account, and copied exactly all of the details from that window into my parent's Windows Account: the SMTP Server, the POP3 Server, all of that. For whatever reason, the e-mail server refuses to let my parent's account access the e-mail. Instead, all e-mail still continues to flow into my Windows Account.

I know I've been a bit confusing on this, but I'd be very appreciative if anyone could help me.:)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is this outlook or outlook express
    if outlook you can move the .pst file from your director to your parents

So log into parents account
    open outlook
    set up the account details for pop smtp - check all the advanced settings too.

close all outlook programs
    then goto

documents and settings
    YOUR USERNAME
    local settings
    appication data
    microsoft
    outlook

copy the PST file

to
    documents and settings
    PARENTS USERNAME
    local settings
    appication data
    microsoft
    outlook

you will have to view hidden fies and foldes to see this folders/files

3. CPUFritz

CPUFritz Thread Starter

I've looked at the specific file locations that you indicated, but there's no "PST" file in either of them. I've provided screenshots to show you what is there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should also note that I run Outlook, not Outlook Express.

Also, here's a final thing for you to know: When I attempt a"Test Account Settings" on Outlook on my parent's account, the e-mail account successfully performs all of actions except for "Log Onto Incoming Mail Server". Outlook will frequently prompt me for my name and password for my network server, and even when I submit it, it asks again a few seconds later. If I deny the password, it will say "Error: Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook could not connect to the incoming POP3 mail server because the server did not accept your username or password".

I'm positive I'm entering the correct password and username.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep those files are the files - however you are not showing extensions so they are outlook.pst and then when outlook asks you to archive it creates the archive files there
    goto tools > folder options> view tab > scroll down and uncheck "hide extensions for know file types"

now I would copy those files somewhere else to keep them safe
    on parents system - 761KB not sure if thats an empty file - seems a little big but maynot be - just checked on a sytem thats never opened outlook and it was 265KB
    so you may want to keep your parents file safe too.

this info should help
    http://www.slipstick.com/config/movepst.htm

Do you have a firewall on the PC - you will need to allow outlook to access the net from your parents account too.

5. CPUFritz

CPUFritz Thread Starter

Alright, I've done what you said and copied all of the .PST files that were situated in my Applications Data into my parent's account. From that, I have successfully been able to transfer all previous e-mail into my parent's account, which does seem to be some sort of accomplishment.

However, on my parent's account, Outlook is still unable to complete the Send/Receive process to retrieve new e-mails. I've provided a few screenshots to shed light on the situation I'm in.

When I first open Outlook on my parent's account, the "Send/Receive Status" text in the lower right hand corner manages to make 50%. From the screenshot below, you can see that it is able to send any e-mails, but cannot retrieve any.

http://img488.imageshack.us/my.php?image=semailattemptch0.png

Also, it will frequently prompt me for my server name, username, and password. I will enter the correct data, and then click "OK", only to have the server continue to try receiving new e-mail. It will continuously prompt for the password and server details, and if and when I click cancel, it will say that there is an error in retrieving mail. It's the same error message that I typed up in an earlier reply.

http://img462.imageshack.us/my.php?image=passwordpromptoz2.png

Now, when I use the "Test Account Settings..." Option under Tools|E-Mail Accounts, all of the actions are successful within three seconds, except for "Log Onto Incoming Mail Server". The test connection will NEVER manage to log on.

http://img61.imageshack.us/my.php?image=testconnectionsox4.png

Please, if you can, help me to fix this. :(

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you checked and made sure everything is typed correctly for every syntax for both accounts.
    Does your username need to have the @cox.net after it?
    Have you checked the "more settings" and set those up the same

7. CPUFritz

CPUFritz Thread Starter

Well, don't I feel stupid? :(

It so happens that the only thing that was preventing it from logging in was the "@cox.net" in my username. I had overlooked that, expecting it to be something more difficult than a typing error. Funny how our minds completely disregard the easier stuff, expecting our solution to be hard to acheive.

Well, thank you for all you've done. Hopefully now I can open a second e-mail account and get my stuff running. Thanks again!;)

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i had a i instead of a l in my username on a new router which would not connect - took 3 days to sort out !!!!!!
    Your Welcome. (y)
    Would you now mark this thread solved - which you have the power to do from your first post.
    goto
    Tick - Mark Solved

Thanks (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483806

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice