1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: rescache.mni

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by XxShadowGhostxX, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XxShadowGhostxX

XxShadowGhostxX Thread Starter

I have windows 7 home premium x64.
    I accidently deleted my rescache.mni file.can i get it back or do i have to do a complete system restore? would it be possible to get this file from another computer with the same windows7 home prmium x64?

2. 87654321

3. XxShadowGhostxX

will try it and let you know if it finds anything..thanx :)

4. XxShadowGhostxX

didnt work.didnt go back far enough i guess.Deleted bout ah month or so ago.I only meant to delete 2 of them in the rescache folder,but not thinking,i deleted them all.I am just now realizing this.so is there any way to get it back?

5. 87654321

6. XxShadowGhostxX

thankyou.will try this also and get back to you.

7. XxShadowGhostxX

ah no go also.does this mean i have to restore? :( or can i get it from another computer with windows 7 home premium x64?

8. XxShadowGhostxX

i guess there is no resolve for this?

9. Lance1

Lance1

Attached Files:

10. XxShadowGhostxX

this computer never came with a restore cd,or manufacturer cd.I have however made the restoration disks when i first got this computer.can i get it from there?

11. XxShadowGhostxX

Ok.I copied it from my sons computer onto mine and placed it where it belongs.It didnt seem to do any harm and i never got any errors.Is that a good thing? He has the same windows as i do "windows 7 x64 bit home premium".I could not find it on the restoration disks as i could not open the files or just didnt know how.I hope this works and causes no probs in the future.

12. XxShadowGhostxX

do i even need this file? I do alot of changes to my computer as far as testing new 3rd party themes.will this effect my computer without it? I had read that i should have only deleted the first 2 files in the rescache.By mistake i deleted all 3.Then i read that it really doesnt matter if i delete rescache.mni if im doing alot of theme changing. Big question is,do i need it or not?

13. Lance1

Lance1

Sorry. The only info I can find is that it's a system file. Is this file an issue with theme testing? If not just leave it allow. If it is just add .old to the extension rescache.mni.old this way you will have access to the file if it is needed and just remove the .old

14. XxShadowGhostxX

you can delete your rescache in windows 7 so its easier to apply mods.For alot of us,we are constantly changing the look of our operating system.On occasion you will find as you do some edits even after reboot the edits don't show up.To fix this problem you have to go to your windows folder on c drive then to the Rescache folder .Inside you will find a couple of folders,rc0000 and rc0001 .Not everyones computer has the same numbers at the end.It all depends on or if they have been rewritten.These folders along with Rescache.mni exhist here.Delete the rc0000 and rc0001 folders.You will have to take ownership of them first.Once deleted, you will no longer get the issue of mods you make not showing up after reboot.The rescache folder contains a cache of things in the OS. If you do not delete these files the pics of the mods will not show up upon reboot.The rescache.mni file however is also part of the operating system,though i really know nothing about it,only that it is there.I had downloaded a theme and had noticed that things werent popping up as they were suppose to,so after deleting these three files,my theme worked perfectly.I had looked into the forum about the problem i was having and they said to delete the 2 files with numbers at the end.however,i accidently deleted all three.It did not cause any problems and still hasnt.I just dont know if its going to cause any problems down the road.I did go back to this site and they said that it really doesnt matter if i deleted it or not,that its not really needed.I cant imagine ah system file put in my computer and not needed.That is why i came here to get expert and professional advice.Since then as you can see in my last thread,that i have replaced the rescache.mni file with another from my sons computer with the same operating system.No ill effects have come about,and nothing has changed which brings me back to the question...do i really need it? I did as you asked and put ".old" at the end.Will go from there i guess.Thankyou for your speedy reply and your help :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!