1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reset my Raid 0 Array to Non-Raid and now nothing's working, help please :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris050493, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris050493

Chris050493 Thread Starter

My mum recently gave her computer to me since she got a netbook and thought that she wasn't getting enough use out of such a computer. An error message kept showing up when I powered on the computer, apparently this had been showing up for some time.
    It was on the Intel Matrix Storage Manager before Windows started, one of the physical disks were listed in red. However, the computer was still in full working order, but I wanted to get rid of the screen that kept coming up, so in an attempt to fix it, I went into the Matrix Storage Manager's configuration utility and not knowing what it would do, reset the disk listed in red to Non-Raid.

Now ever since I've done that, I've seen nothing except the BIOS, all that comes up after the Matrix Storage Utility now is a device listing and it says at the bottom 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'. I inserted an OS disk and nothing would come up. Since then, the closest thing I've had to progress was by going into the BIOS settings and changing the hard disks SATA mode to 'IDE'.
    After setting it to that, the Matrix Storage Utility doesn't show up, which I thought was a good sign at first, but then afterwards the same final screen shows up, but the message at the bottom had changed.

'Boot from CD:'
    (Then after a couple of seconds loading it comes up with)
    Missing Operating System

Since I've had this problem, I've tried 3 discs to try and save my own ***. I first tried a Windows xp installation disc, but I still had no reaction after it said 'Boot from CD:' and carried on to show 'Missing Operating System'. I then went on to try the free operating system Ubuntu on disc, that also had the same outcome. I had a final try at making a disc with something on called 'Ultimate Boot CD', which was supposed to be able to fix problems like I'm having, but yet again, the same outcome.

(Before it's mentioned, I have had my boot priority set for CD first)

Here is a slideshow of pictures I've taken of the screens I'm getting from the computer
    (Note: Start at picture 11 and go in a backwards order down to 1, when I uploaded the pictures they came out in a back to front order)
    I will also post details below talking you throw each picture

http://img59.imageshack.us/slideshow/webpl...id=17600317.jpg

(That's a slideshow of 11 pictures of different screens I've accessed on the computer...
    The first is the basic default start up screen
    The second is the screen that shows up next
    The third and fourth are from the menu that shows up when I press Ctrl + I when on the second screen, and as you can see, it's saying I can't create a raid volume because of 'No disk space'
    The fifth picture is what comes up after I exit that menu or don't press Ctrl + I on the second screen.

The sixth, seventh, eighth and nineth pictures display me going into the BIOS and changing the hard disk to IDE (note in each picture, the options on the menu I have highlighted are the ones I go into which take me to the next screens if this helps)
    The tenth screenshot is what comes up after the Philips screen when the computer's first turned on, this is after I've set the hard disk to IDE
    The eleventh screenshot is what comes up after that and is a slight change from the fifth

Computer specifications:

Philips Freevents MT3900
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    500GB HDD (RAID 0, SATA 2, 7200rpm)
    2GB DDR2 RAM (533MHz)
    16x DVD+R/RW DL
    OS: Was running Windows Vista Ultimate until this happened

Please, please help me fix this problem. I don't care about what's on the hard drive, I had already backed up my mums documents and was still in the process of moving mine on there so mine are still backed up. I don't care about the operating system going either, I have xp or Ubuntu to go on. However, I just want the computer back up and running 'cause my mum's flipping out that I've mucked it up and I've been toying around on it and searching all over forums to try and fix it for two days now, nothing's worked out.

2. Guldan

Guldan

When you build a raid0 array it will write information on all disks in that array, if you take a member out of that raid array neither disc will boot up, nor will you be able to install stuff on them.

In your bios configure it to SATA and RAID mode like before.. Now go into your controller. You can try saving your data by attempting to "Create" the array again but if the data is not important DELETE the array and re-create it with both discs.
    Make sure mode is SATA and RAID
    Delete raid volume
    Create raid volume
    select discs
    boot up

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you do not want what is on the drive, do the following;
    1 Enter the bios and set it to raid; save settings and restart
    2 Enter the intel raid setup. I think this is ctrl>I
    3 Delete the raid array
    4 Restart and enter the bios. Set the sata controller to either ahci or native ide NOT raid. Next set the boot order to CD as first boot device. Save settings and restart with your windows disk in the CD/DVD drive.
    5 Clean install windows on one drive and use the second drive as a backup to store backup files, image files, etc.

4. Chris050493

Thanks, your method worked a treat, there's just one error I'm getting up now. After it says 'Boot from CD:'. it goes on to start up the Intel Boot Agent, then after saying it's initializing a link, it goes on to say...
    XE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    XE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
    DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I know that both the Ubuntu and Windows disks I've tried work fine because I've tested them on another computer, however, another forum has told me that this message means that it's the cd drive that's at fault and if I have a spare one at hand, I need to use that. But last time I checked (which was a few days back before this happened), the reading lens worked fine on it, but not the burning lens. This is a bit problematic for me because as far as I know, I don't have any spare cd drives around the house and don't know anyone who would lend me theirs, and I really don't fancy having to buy a new one if I know this one works in some fashion.
    When it mentioned checking the cable on the error message, I did that, but still the same result, I will try unplugging and plugging the cables back in later and hope for the best. But apart from buying a new cd drive, is there any other way of getting the operating system on there? I have the .iso file for Ubuntu saved on the computer I'm using now, is there any other way I can load it onto there?

Thanks for the great help so far and thanks in advance for any future help :)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you finish installing windows and you are getting the boot disk msg?

If you did install windows, did you do it with both drives still installed and which drive did you select for the install?

6. Chris050493

No, this is occurring whilst the computer's trying to boot from the disk in the first place. So it basically happens as soon as the computer gets switched on

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, so you have not installed windows yet. Do the following;
    1 With the system OFF, open the case and pull the pw connector from the drive you DO NOT want to install windows.
    2 Pw ON and enter the bios. Set the CD as the first boot device. Next make sure both your CD and remaining hard drive are detected in the bios. If they are not detected, we need to find out why they are not detected.
    3 If all is well, restart with your windows install disk in the CD drive. You should see the "press any key to boot from CD" msg when you restart.

8. Chris050493

The same error is coming up, nothing changed :(

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not answered. Are your drives [both hd and optical] being detected correctly in the bios?

10. Chris050493

The remaining hard drive was being detected, yes... However, I'm not sure about the cd drive, if the cd drive being displayed on the boot order list counts, then yes it's being detected. However, if there's some other way of being able to detect the cd drive, please let me know

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Each bios is a little different in how it displays info. It should be listed where it shows your ide/sata connectors. It will show something like LiteOnxxx123 or whatever brand of drive. Just like a hard disk shows WD123JB for a Western Digital drive.

12. Chris050493

It's finally fixed, after finding out that the cd drive was faulty, I took out the hard drives and took them to my brother, then he used his computer to install Windows XP, after some driver problems with that, I'm back up on my feet again :D
    Thank you everyone for all the help, I don't really know where I'd be at the moment without your help :D

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you got it fixed(y) You can mark your own threads as solved using the button at the top of the page. I will mark this one as solved for you.

14. Chris050493

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice