1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Resetting Default Player Icon

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Doggan, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doggan

Doggan Thread Starter

My previous audio player (foobar2000) was working fine. All my mp3's had the foobar2000 icon as their icon to signify that they would open in foobar2000 by default. I had to install Real Player to play some .ram videos. When installing, the installer program locked up and I accidentally hit "Next" twice... WELL LOVELY. The 2nd next made Real Player the default player for all my mp3's as well as other sound files. It replaced the foobar2000 icon on all mp3s with the Real Player icon.

I uninstalled Real Player, tried opening an mp3 (clicking properties, and told it to use foobar2000 as the default program to open it), but the icon is still Real Player. I tried reinstalling foobar2000 and telling it to be the default player for my audio, but now some mp3s are the Real Player icon, and some are totally blank (no icon is assigned to it). They all open in foobar2000 though, like they should. How can I reset the icon displayed with these files? I am guessing I have to do something in the registry but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is the "foobar" icon showing for any file types?

You can change an icon for a particular file type by finding the file in Folder Options > File types: file type > Advanced > Change Icon

But you have to know where to look for the icon you want. If you have any files associated with foobar -- you can trace its icon the same way.

Attached Files:

3. Doggan

Doggan Thread Starter

Great ! That did it ! Thanks a lot. (I also had to restart after I made the changes).

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

:) (y)

You're welcome!

I'll mark the thread "Solved", but for future reference this option is also available to you in the Thread Tools menu when appropriate.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/397205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice