1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Resizing partition with Partition Logic

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dgus1605, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dgus1605

dgus1605 Thread Starter

I have downloaded the Partition Logic program in order to resize the C: partition from 8GB to 25GB on my system. My file system is NTFS and I have a 80GB HD which is divided into 1 primary partition (8GB) and 4 logical drives (10GB, 10GB, 500MB, and 5GB respectively) with the remainder of the disk free. My OS is Win XP Pro..

The program keeps emitting error messages during the resize procedure, and therefore I would appreciate any assistance please.

When I start the resizing procedure by choosing the partition to be resized ( in this case, C ,) a popup message appears which reads:

“Resize Partition
    Current ending cylinder 1083. Enter ending cylinder (0 -1083) or size in megabytes with ‘m’ (1m – 8002m) or size in cylinders with ‘c’ (1c – 1084c).”

So, I enter “1m to 25000m” to increase C: to 25GB. Another popup message reads:

“Resizing
    Resizing partition from 16390017 to 15057 sectors. Please use this feature with caution and only after making a full backup of all important data. Continue?”
    Press “OK”

The program the starts to resize and then this error message appears:

“Error
    New size can’t be less than the space already occupied by data. You need to delete unused files.”
    “OK” This is followed by:
    “Error
    Error during file system resize.”

I have repeated the procedure twice more with the same result. I have even tried entering the new size in cylinders rather than megabytes as suggested by the program. Still does not work. Also, googling did not help.

I noted that certain members of this forum may have had experience with Partition Logic. If so, perhaps they can throw some light on this because I have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

"or size in megabytes with ‘m’ (1m – 8002m)"
    This is a range, 1MB to 8002MB, you enter a single number within that range.

What you are doing is entering another range 1 to 25 000.

Can't be done. Enter a single number between 1 and 8002.

But that is not your solution.

Current ending cylinder 1083. Resize to, pick one, 1-1084, 1084 is one cylinder larger

than what you have now. I don't think that is going to change 8GB into 25GB.

You need to read their manuals. It will explain partitions and how to work with them.

The easiest thing I can tell you to do is to delete the two 10GB partitions next to C drive,

if you listed them in order, then try to resize to 25 or 28GB, you should be seeing a new

range of values to enter for size.

Have a back-up of anything and everything you may want. Also be prepared to have to

re-install OS.

3. dgus1605

dgus1605 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, Rootbear. I will go back and try your suggestions and see what happens.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

No problem.

Good luck.

Don't forget, 1024MB = 1GB.

25GB = 25 600MB("m")

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I didn't think PL could resize NTFS partitions. In any case, it's a pretty rudimentary program, in development, and I'm not sure I would trust it for my machine.

Try Parted Magic or Gparted. They are far more well-known. Be sure that the partition to be resized has been thoroughly checked for errors since even a minor one can lead to disaster, and then be sure it is well defragmented before trying to resize.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    Gparted LiveCD
    Parted Magic
    XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
    Partition Logic
    Ranish Partition Manager
    Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager
    Terabyte BootIt NG
    Acronis Disk Director
    V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
    EASEUS Partition Manager
    7Tools Partition Manager
    Spotmau Partition Genius

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Can't this be done in Windows Computer Management under Administrative Tools?

Delete the two adjacent 10 gb partitions and then resize the primary .

7. dgus1605

dgus1605 Thread Starter

Thank you Rootbear,Elvandil and Stoner. I'm digesting everything but a few things have come up which require my computer to be in good working order, albeit a little full. So,for now I will shelve this project until ...?.
    Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/657706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice