1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Resource Conflict PCI Network Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by addyca2005, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. addyca2005

addyca2005 Thread Starter

:confused:
    I am not sure if this is the correct forum to enter my post, so I hope no one will get upset. If it isn't please tell me which forum I should post this in.

I am getting this message when I turn my emachine on:

" Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller in slot 03
    Bus: 01, Device: 0B, Function: 00 "

What does the message mean & what should I do to resolve it??

Thanks for any help or answers that are posted ---:eek:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It would help if you posted some more info.

1 What operating system are you running; ie win9x, xp, win2k, etc.

2 Did you just install the nic card or has it been running fine until now?

3 Post your system specs ie make and model of computer [if store bought] or make and model of motherboard [if custom build]

3. addyca2005

Running Windows ME operating system
    NIC card been running fine till now
    HP Pavilion XG836
    733 Mhz Celeron (TM)
    64MB
    128KB Cache Ram
    30.0 GB

This is what happens:
    When I turn on the Emachine I get the Resource Conflict Error, I then press F2 to continue & it tries to load windows; it gets to the desktop & sits there for a bit, then gives me the following error message, with a blue screen: Disk Write Error, Unable to write to disk in Drive C: Data or files may be lost. Press any key to continue.

When I press a key to continue, it again tries to load & I get the same error message on the blue screen -- unable to write etc.....

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The new information with the error - "Disk Write Error, Unable to write to disk in Drive C: Data or files may be lost. Press any key to continue" - is pretty significant.

Typically it is due to a failing hard drive.

Might want to at least see if you can take the drive out, put it in another computer, and back up any critical data you might not want to lose.

5. addyca2005

Is the failing hard drive, the reason I get the Resource Conflict Error too?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree you need to test your hd with the hd maker's diagnostic utility. You download this from whoever made your hd ie WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc. Open your case and see who made the disk. The file you download usually makes a bootable floppy or bootable CD. Read the instructions. Once you are done making the disk, enter your bios and make sure whatever media you used [CD or floppy] is the first boot device. Restart with the disk in the drive.

If it gives you the option to do a quick or complete test, you can do the quick one first. If it passes, then do the complete test.

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

AddyCa:
    The resource conflict error is being reported by the BIOS before the system even tries to boot from the hard drive. Because Windows tries to configure the hardware as part of it's boot process, the right answer is to remove the NIC and see if it is causing the Disk Write Error message. (It would be unusual for Windows to try to place the NIC in conflict with the IDE controller; but I have seen stranger things)
    If the error still occurs, take Bob's suggestion and connect the drive to another computer if there are any pictures of files you want to save. If you are leary of opening up another computer, Buy.com has an external USB case for $18 ( http://www.buy.com/prod/CoolMax_3_5...ure_w_One_Touch_Data/q/loc/101/204018384.html )
    As a note; unless the BIOS lost it's settings and reverted to defaults immediately prior to your getting the resource error, the highest probability is that you had an AC spike that has damaged the system. If it turns out that the NIC (or some other part of the system) is bad AND the hard drive is failing, it is almost 100% probable that is what happened.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I would be more concerned with a failing hard drive and any data you might need to recover before trying to resolve a network card conflict.

9. addyca2005

Okay I'll see what I can do... it might be awhile before I post again as I will be out of town for a bit tending to other matters.

Thanks for all your help so far....

10. addyca2005

Gave up trying to mess with a mess, went & got a new computer...

Thanks everyone for trying to help me, I just didn't feel like dealing with this one any longer !!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/570081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice