1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: restart from keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rapidfirerob, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Thread Starter

I have a logitech optical mouse with a long plug. Once in awhile it falls out of the input on the CPU. XP Pro does not recognize the mouse until restart. I devised a shortcut so I could restart from my keyboard, which works fine when this happens. When I delete the icon from the desktop, which has an arrow in the icon, I can no longer restart using the keyboard. I was under the impression that when an icon had an arrow embedded in it, it indicated it was a shortcut only and could always be deleted, leaving the program intact. Why can I not delete this icon, and can I move it somewhere off the desktop by right clicking or some other method? Thanks. :)

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You could put it down on your Quick Launch area of your task bar. then delete it from your desk top. It will remain on the Quick launch area.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Ummmm...rapidfirerob...

How did you map this key, and to which path did you map it too?

If you mapped the key to the shortcut on the desktop (ie: C:\Documents and settings\<user name>\desktop\<shortcut>), then no it won't work if you delete the shortcut from the desktop, you will have to map the keyboard key to where the actual program is located, or to a folder or location where the shortcut is stored...

4. rapidfirerob

I created this as a shortcut on the desktop. I tried putting it on the quick launch area and it pops back up when I do the command. It's not a huge issue if I have to leave the icon on the desktop.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

What folder is the desktop shortcut pointing too?

6. rapidfirerob

The target is: %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -r
    start in: %windir%
    target location: system 32

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...

Create a new folder on your C:\, call it keyboardshutdown cut and paste the short cut from the desktop into that folder, then remap the key to that folder with the short cut...

8. rapidfirerob

OOps .I forgot to do the last step and deleted the shortcut and removed it from the recycle bin. How can I make my keyboard command work?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice