1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restart in MSDOS mode.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by aarhus2004, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered Thread Starter

Hello,

After eight years of not having this option in my Shutdown menu, "Restart in MSDOS mode", I find it of no value that I can see (GIF attached) and would, therefore, like to be rid of it.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Ben.:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

3. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    That is interesting...I haven't seen that before on ME.. Seems like only MS could present that...And yet...It could be a spoof..

4. aarhus2004

Hello Zee,

At least I can still boot into DOS with a boot-up floppy (the link to the MS Article applies). This website provoked me into making at least the change here. And perhaps one or two others from the same site, but I would not knowingly tamper with DOS. Those registry changes made show up as in the attached thumbnail.

Mike seems to be saying that the option of restarting into DOS was offered in Win98 (in his post above). Perhaps something has provoked my computer into thinking it is a Win98 machine?!

My options seem to be reversing those registry entries and searching for other possible changes I made when that site was first offered here. Or simply ignoring it until my next F & I.

Thanks, Zee.

Ben.

Attached Files:

5. aarhus2004

Mike, was it on Win98?

Thanks.

Ben.

P.S. What's a computing "spoof"?

6. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Ben,

That was an interesting comment and link, but in many things tries to make WinME look like Win98 (yes that option was on Win98).

Zee

7. aarhus2004

Zee, contrary to what I often express (my satisfaction with WinMe) I have, now I have got rid of system restore, to all intents and purposes got Win98! Mike M told me that once when I made it known that I had tossed System Restore. System Restore is a clog in a resource drain IMHO.

Cheers. Zee.

8. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Ben,

I do agree with Mike M on this, but always try putting in a different tone (I'm sure you know what I mean).:D

9. aarhus2004

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice