1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restart When Trying to Save A File

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bosanac, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bosanac

Bosanac Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Before this, I've never had a computer problem that I could not solve. This, it seems, is out of my league. I'll appreciate any help I get on this issue..

First of all, let me tell you how this problem started..

I had Windows XP, but wanted to switch to Vista. I've already had Windows Vista come with the computer, but had formatted the hard-drive and installed Windows XP so that my computer would work faster. A few days earlier, I decided to give Windows Vista another shot. I formatted my computer, and installed Vista.

After installing Vista, I could not boot up the computer. I was getting a weird error when when attempting to boot. I thought I might've done something wrong when installing it, so I formatted again, and re-installed Vista. Still, I got the same error. I decided to go back to Windows XP..

Installing Windows XP was not a problem, but..now it seems that any time I try to save a file (any kind of file), be it a small text file created in Notepad or downloading something from the internet.. my computer automatically restarts itself. I had re-installed the Windows XP again because I thought I might've done something to it. At first, I could save files. I installed the video card driver, and the audio driver with no problems.

Than after a while and installing some other software (Windows Live Messenger and Pokerstars), I started to get the same problem.

I don't know how to fix this, please help..

I've looked around the forums, and unchecked the Automatically Restart box when encountering an error. But it hasn't fixed the problem..

2. zabusant

zabusant

Hi!

Well, unchecking "automatically restart" is not supposed to fix anything - it will (should) simply provide you with a "blue screen" and the technical information needed to troubleshoot your issue.

I suggest you replicate the problem and write down the error message. You can also attach the recent minidumps and someone will analyze them for you (located in %systemroot%\minidump\)

3. Bosanac

Bosanac Thread Starter

Well, I just did that and tried viewing the minidump but it says the location is unavailible.

The thing is, as soon as the dialog for saving a file appears.. the system restarts. And when it boots up, the minidump is gone. I might be wrong, but the computer doesn't save anything. Even the settings for Firefox. Each time it restarts, the firefox starts up as a 'first run'.

4. zabusant

zabusant

So you don't even get a blue screen? Are you sure "automatically restart" is disabled and "small memory dump (64 KB)" is selected ?

Have you disabled any of the windows services or used a "tweaking" application that would do such a thing since reinstalling?

When reinstalling, you did of course format the partition? Just checking:)

Perhaps I misspelled it - the minidump folder should be located under c:\windows\minidump. If there is no such folder than no minidumps have been created yet - and since your PC keeps crashing, they really should have been.

That's strange about firefox - since the info (to restore a session) should be stored a long time before your PC crashes.

5. Bosanac

Bosanac Thread Starter

Yeah, yeah.

Of course I'm sure.

And no, I didn't get a chance to do any tweaking.

And yes to the last question as well. The first time I re-installed, I did the quick format. But the second time, I did the one that takes hours.

I don't know, could it be a memory issue?

PS: I can save files on the computer thru network. I download the file with another computer, and save it into the computers (broken ones) shared folder. But when trying to run that file, the computer restarts. So frustrating..

6. zabusant

zabusant

I guess, RAM and graphics card are the two most common reasons for crashes. If you have more than one sticks of RAM, you can try alernating. Otherwise you can run memtest overnight.

7. zabusant

zabusant

BTW, a minidump also wouldn't get written if you had disabled the paging file.

EDIT: Since there is a lack of information for troubleshooting, I suggest you try going to "safe mode" and try to save something. This way you can eliminate a hardware problem (if it's successful) and we can focus on the drivers and apps loading when you start windows normally.

8. Bosanac

Bosanac Thread Starter

Will do, thanks. I will let you know what happens in a few minutes.

PS: I haven't disabled the paging file.

9. Bosanac

Bosanac Thread Starter

Looks like it's not a hardware problem. I was able to save a file in safe-mode.

Could Windows Live Messenger cause this problem?

10. zabusant

zabusant

That's good news!

Unlikely, but you can remove it from startup (start>run... msconfig) and restart. Running it might cause an issue but simply having it installed shouldn't. But I've never had a problem with it - you can google it though.

How about the pokerstars software, such programs are usually badly written, I've had an issue with partypoker's app some time ago.

11. Bosanac

Bosanac Thread Starter

I couldn't run msconfig in regular start-up, nor could I in safe-mode. The computer would restart.

So, I resorted to the last solution. Restore.

I restored my computer to an earlier date, and it seems to have fixed the problem. I restored it to a date right before installing some Windows Update.

It's possible that an update called Windows XP KB888111 WXPSP2 caused the problem. Since that was the only thing I installed in the computer that could potentially be messing with the system.

Here, I've highlighted the point I've restored the computer to:

[​IMG]

It's an high definition audio driver, but it's possible that I've installed the wrong driver. I will make sure I don't make the same mistake again. Well, at least I will make sure I don't install that particular audio driver again. :D

I don't know how, even though I restored my computer to a date before installing the driver.. my sound still works? Maybe it's posing as an audio driver? Anyway..

Thanks, zabusant. You've been a great help :)

12. zabusant

zabusant

You're welcome!

If I'm not mistaken KB888111 is an audio driver update from microsoft. So that's a prime suspect for sure. Installing the Realtek driver alongside it could have caused this. I'd recommend you re-update your PC, but perhaps stay clear of this update (should be "optional") - especially if you're planning to reinstall the Realtek driver (I wouldn't unless you get performance issues).

Anyway, it's sorted, see you around.:)

13. Bosanac

Bosanac Thread Starter

^That answers my question.

Why I still have sound eventhough I've uninstalled a driver. :)

14. zabusant

zabusant

Odlično(y)

15. Bosanac

Bosanac Thread Starter

The problem has returned, and I did a virus scan. I was fortunate enough to download and install an anti-virus program in the absence of the issue.

The problem is not a problem at all, but a virus called W32/Brontok.

Anybody else experiencing weird and random system reboots is probably infected.

Here's a link to the file which will disinfect the Brontok virus.

http://www.sophos.com/support/cleaners/brontgui.com

It's a small file, download it - run it. Press START and.. follow the instructions.

Maybe somebody from the management should make a thread explaining the symptoms, as well as the removal procedures?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!