1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: restore computer to factory settings without a cd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Richyb0y5225, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Richyb0y5225

Richyb0y5225 Thread Starter

ok basically wat i want to do is to restore my computer back to the way it was when it was first bought nothing on the hardrive completly clean i ahve all the disks to install all the stuff i jsut dont hav e a system start up disk so plz help me

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Make/model/OS?

Do you have a recovery partition? If not, there is no way to reinstall unless you go buy Windows.

3. Richyb0y5225

the computer is a dell dimesnsion 4100 and i have no idea if it has a partition

4. Richyb0y5225

wat would u do if it had a partition

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

Try going to My Computer.
    If you have 2 local disks shown,very probably the one with the smallest amount of storage used will be your recovery partition.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

And knowing that,follow the instructions in your user's manual to do a restore.

7. Richyb0y5225

ok thx but i only have 1 local disk shown and i cant find my owners manual does dell ahve htem on their site/

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Probably.Log onto dell,go to tech support for your model.If available,it would probably be in the download section,or specific section for manuals.

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

I have just been hacking around the Dell site.I cannot find a user's manual.I have found Google references to a lot of folks who seem to have had the same problem.No manual.Could not find a clear resolution to that.
    Sorry.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I think that model pre-dates the existence of the recovery partition. Without the disks, you're out of luck.

11. Richyb0y5225

well thx alo tfor the help guys ill probably jsut look into buying a new computer or unless dell can shipme the cds i need

12. Richyb0y5225

one quick question tho what cds do i ened exactly to acheive my goal?

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need the restore disks. They would have the operating system and any software you purchased with or was included with the purchase of the system.

14. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

With a Dell, it is simply a matter of booting the Windows CD, telling it to install windows on the existing partition, and when it asks you, tell it to format the partition. After Windows is installed, insert the Drivers and Utilities CD which will guide you through installing those.
    If you want them, you can also use the Applications CD to restore the programs that came with the unit; but, you don't have to...

If you go to http://support.dell.com , click on Technical Support, and type in your Service Tag number, everything IS available; service manual, reinstall manual, users manual, downloads, etcetera.

15. Richyb0y5225

wait so if i install windows it will clean out my hardrive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740547