1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restore dell laptop to factory defaults

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ViprXX, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ViprXX

ViprXX Thread Starter

My friend has a dell inspiron B130 laptop and wants me to restore it to factory status via the dell recovery image. I know how to restore it to factory status but he wants to keep some personal files and I was just curious if, instead of just burning his files to cd or transfering to another pc via network, if I could just put all his files he wants to keep in one folder and just put it in the same folder as the one which dell keeps to store the hd image and drivers since that folder(s) don't get deleted during recovery. Just thought maybe someone has tried this and know if it would work or not. I'm just worried that if I copy his personal folder into the dell recovery image folder it might give me errors. if anyone has experience or suggestions on this I'd appreciate it. And if I didn't explain what I want to do clearly just let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

thanks,
    Todd

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's no way I'd risk it. Your friend should have backups external to the hard drive anyway. Now is a great time to start a regular backup routine.

3. ViprXX

ViprXX Thread Starter

yeah, I hear you about having hard copy backups but he doesn't have anything THAT important, ya know. Just music and whatnot that he'd rather not have to go through getting again. I was just curious if anyone has tried this before. He's not really that worried about it if he does happen to loose his music but I figured I'd check real quick incase someone knows for sure it would work or not. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I thought Dell recovery images were stored on a hidden partition. That would prevent you from copying anything to it.

Hard drives can and do fail, and files can and do become corrupted. If he doesn't want to have to re-purchase or re-rip his music files, he needs to back them up. I've not encountered too many people who have nothing on their computer they care about. Doesn't he have bookmarks or favorites? What about downloaded programs? No documents of any type?

5. ViprXX

ViprXX Thread Starter

yeah, I was just gonna post that I did a little more research(which I should've did in the beginning lol) into it and yeah it is on a hidden partition, which I can resize and customize if I want but hell with that lol. only reason i thought the restore files where on the C: drive was because there is a "drivers" folder on the c: drive and a "i386" folder on it. Anyways, thanks for both of your inputs. I think I'm just gonna backup to dvd or networked desktop.

thanks,
    Todd

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!