[SOLVED] Restore disk will not work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mrcobra

I have a compaq Presario, when I put in the quick restore disk, I get the options "quick restore,diagnois, and two other options" When I choose "quick restore" the screen turns green and tells me to remove the quick restore cd, and press any key. When I do this I go right back to the original problem. I get the error, "non-system disk" There are no disks in any of the drives. This is the reason I want to do a restore on the computer, adding the fact that I belive my daughter deleted certain files which she needs to run the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Cobra

Del

What is the exact model number on your computer?
Different ones sometimes require you to hold a certain key down when you do the restore if I'm not mistaken. I had some notes at one time, I'll try to find the sequence if you can tell me what model you have.
Del

Did you by any chance make a Bootup (Startup) Disk? If so then put it in the Floppy drive and Boot the PC. When you get to the C: prompt type sys c: That will copy the files needed to boot windows... That should stop the Non System Disk error....

If you dont have a Bootup disk, then What version of Windows are you running? You can download one at www.bootdisk.com

Mrcobra

It is a compaq presario 5030. I will try this boot disk thing that you have recommended later today and post back as to how it went. Thank you for the support

Cobra

Mrcobra

Dodge, I did what you had suggested and it didnt work. When I do that I do not get the C prompt, I get the A prompt.

Del

Hi,
Did you add any hardware to your computer. Most of the compaq's require the original configuration when using quick restore. If you added any hardware that didn't come with the system, it may not run until you remove all new hardware, including any printers installed.
Sometimes you can put the c.d. in and reboot to get it going.
Sometimes you have to hit the caps lock to get the quick restore to run. One model had 37 steps to the quick restore process.
Many also require you to remove all partitions on the hard drive after putting the c.d. in.
I have an older Compaq. I finally just reformatted and installed what I wanted. If works fine just can't get to the "BIOS" but then, the one I could see with the Compaq software, didn't really do anything anyway.
You probably are out of warrentry anyway. Good luck.
Del
Yup, I know someone who used to do tech support for them..

Mrcobra

Thanks too all of you guys, I now have a reformatted compaq. Del, I had to go through 40 steps for it to work :). Thanks again guys

Cobra

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online