1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Restore driver for CDRW/DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KrashedKris, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KrashedKris

KrashedKris Thread Starter

Hi folks - my CDRW/DVD drive stopped working, and its status in Device Manager is showing "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39)." Just wondering if anyone could suggest what the best way to go from here is - thanks for any advice :) (btw I have WinXP home)

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

3. KrashedKris

Dave - thanks for your reply - I think you've probably hit the nail on the head here because I did recently remove Easy CD Creator and I'd forgotten that I'd even done that! Nice work - I'll let you know how I get on, and thanks again for your help (y)

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

KrashedKris

Am curious to know the result so please let us know.

Dave

5. KrashedKris

Dave - pleased to report a successful result! I followed the resolution advice given in the MS knowledgebase link to delete the two particular values from the relevant registry key, and after a reboot I could immediately access my D:\ drive again (the CDRW/DVD drive) and it's working perfectly. I'm really grateful for your excellent advice on this one - and my donation to the site will follow (actually its overdue really as I've had plenty of good advice from here, but better late than never :D )

The cause of this problem seemed to be exactly as described in the knowledgebase. A while ago I tried to install an old version of Easy CD Creator but found it was incompatible with Win XP and had to uninstall it, but it left some drivers behind which Win XP would prevent from loading at startup and display a message to this effect. I posted here a few weeks back for help with finding and removing these drivers, and thanks to Bold Fortune I was able to identify and delete them from my System32 folder, but I guess these two registry values were still there. So now it looks like all traces of Easy CD have finally gone - thanks to you guys - great work!

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

KrashedKris
    (y) Glad all is well now and we at TSG appreciate the donation!
    Keeps our site free and running! :D
    Will consider matter solved.........

Take Care

Dave

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice