1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restore files in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mrcobra, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Ok I ran a bunch of different spyware removal tools and now whe nI try to play swat-4 TSS I have the most terrible lag in the world. Played this game for a yr with NO problems. Lag problem started after I ran those programs. I am curious if the spyware removal proggies didn't take a file or two that I need for internet connection.

My question is. I know there was somewhere in win 98 that I could check windows for missing or corrupt window files and have them replaced and or repaired, can you do that with XP and how do I get there ?

It just hit me. Is it chkdsk in a dos command ? Is that the only way ? And if this is right how do I do it on the other drives I have ?

Thank you

2. Iceworx

Iceworx

is it video lag or just connection lag.

You might also want to try a system restore, or you could restore the quarantined items from your last scan, or check the log to see that no vitals were removed.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I believe its going to be video lag. My connection speeds are great and I can play BF-2 WITH no problems at all:

With a restore you don't loose anything correct ? As far as restoring things those programs might have removed, ahh I deleted all of the programs as well thinking they might have been the problem

4. Iceworx

Iceworx

So you only have video problems with swat-4, and no problems at all when playing BF-2.

Either try to reinstall your video card drivers,
    (seeing your video card, go to www.ati.com, and make sure you completely uninstall the current drivers and reboot before installing new drivers) or reinstall swat-4.

5. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

SOrry I should have told ya I already did that. I have the latest drivers for my video. It was lagging bad with old drivers as well. Yes I play BF-2 with NO problems what so ever.

6. Iceworx

Iceworx

Have you also tried re-installing the game completely ?
    Maybe you should restore the quarantined files, or do a system restore, or reformat =/

7. rude

rude

I believe what you are looking for is this:
    Click start/run Type: cmd
    In the Command window type:
    SFC /scannow Note the space between SFC and /scannow

You can copy/paste: SFC /scannow

Hit the Enter button
    keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom

8. Iceworx

Iceworx

Totally forgot about the system file checker, but make sure that if you get any problems to copy over the I386 folder from the xp cd, reboot the system and try

SFC /scannow

again.

Also you might need to make sure that your

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath

has the correct path to the I386 folder

it would save you some problems

9. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Thanks Rude, went ahead and did that:

Blood that is foreign to me lol: I have reinstalled the game three times. Even installed it to a HD where there is nothing on it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!