1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restore points dissapear in dual-boot system

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Masterman10, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Masterman10

Masterman10 Thread Starter

I have recently discovered my restore points are dissapearing at random. I checked around and I have been told that since I have a dual-boot system. Every time I boot-up the other OS (XP) it deletes my restore points in vista and vise-versa with XP. I tested this and sure enough after I booted to XP then restarted and went to Vista all my restore points were gone. Is there a way to fix this problem?

2. TechB

TechB

The only way to fix the problem is to hide the Vista drive from XP. You can use a boot manager or with some computers disable the drive in the BIOS. Disabling in the BIOS doesn't always work as Windows is pretty good at finding and using hardware. Some boot managers don't hide the drive well enough either. I have quit dual booting for this and other reasons so I can't really recommend a boot manager that works. Google should be of some help here

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vista+xp+dual+boot+manager+hide&btnG=Google+Search

3. Masterman10

I have found a few ideas but they never worked on hiding the drive. But, after I posted this I found one using the registry and it worked. My restore points are not deleted. thanks for the advice though.

4. TechB

TechB

What is the registry fix? As I said I don't dual boot any more but many other people do. I'm sure they would be interested.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    This is a known problem and there is an 'official' Microsoft workaround, Method 1 here :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

The effect in XP is in Windows Explorer the Vista drive letter is still there but named 'Local Disk' and no files are visible, in XP's Disk Management the drive letter is shown but no file system is visible.

Any partition that is included in Vista's System Restore monitoring will have it's System Restore points deleted if XP can 'see' it, that is if it has not been set as 'offline' using the Registry setting as shown above.

I have tried Method 1 and it does work.

For Vista Ultimate and Enterprise Editions the Bitlocker feature can be used to prevent the problem, this is explained as Method 2 at the above link.

6. Masterman10

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice