Solved: Restore points dissapear in dual-boot system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Masterman10

I have recently discovered my restore points are dissapearing at random. I checked around and I have been told that since I have a dual-boot system. Every time I boot-up the other OS (XP) it deletes my restore points in vista and vise-versa with XP. I tested this and sure enough after I booted to XP then restarted and went to Vista all my restore points were gone. Is there a way to fix this problem?

The only way to fix the problem is to hide the Vista drive from XP. You can use a boot manager or with some computers disable the drive in the BIOS. Disabling in the BIOS doesn't always work as Windows is pretty good at finding and using hardware. Some boot managers don't hide the drive well enough either. I have quit dual booting for this and other reasons so I can't really recommend a boot manager that works. Google should be of some help here

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vista+xp+dual+boot+manager+hide&btnG=Google+Search

Masterman10

I have found a few ideas but they never worked on hiding the drive. But, after I posted this I found one using the registry and it worked. My restore points are not deleted. thanks for the advice though.

What is the registry fix? As I said I don't dual boot any more but many other people do. I'm sure they would be interested.

managed

Allan
This is a known problem and there is an 'official' Microsoft workaround, Method 1 here :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

WORKAROUND
You can use either of the following methods to work around this problem.
Method 1
To keep Windows XP from deleting restore points of the volume in Windows Vista, add the following registry entry under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline registry subkey in Windows XP:

Value name: \DosDevices\D:
Type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 1

Note If the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline registry subkey does not exist, you must manually create this registry subkey. Create this registry entry when you have installed Windows Vista on the "D" partition in Windows XP.
Effects of this workaround
After you restart Windows XP, you cannot access the volume that is created in Windows Vista from Windows XP. However, you can still access the volume that is created in Windows XP from Windows Vista. You must use Windows XP drive or an additional drive such as a USB thumb drive for data exchange.
Limitations of this workaround
This workaround only protects the volume in Windows Vista from being accessed or changed by Windows XP. If you have more volumes or if you want to add a volume from Windows XP to the system restore settings in Windows Vista, the system restore (Volume-Shadow-Data) on those volumes will be still overwritten. To avoid this problem, you must add those volumes to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline subkey. If you add the Windows XP volume to that subkey or if you delete this volume drive letter, you cannot then start Windows XP.

You can use this workaround only when the restore points for Windows XP and for Windows Vista are mutually exclusive. The restore points are mutual exclusive when no restore points are common across the volume in Windows XP or the volume in Windows Vista. For example, consider the following scenario:• The C driver is a volume in Windows XP.
• The D driver is a volume in Windows Vista.

In this scenario, the Windows Vista restore points are added on the E driver. Then, you must change the registry entry of the E driver under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Offline" registry subkey to 1.

Also, a common volume can be used for data exchange between Windows XP and Windows Vista. However, restore points must not be defined on this common volume.
Support Status of this workaround
Adding this key can have unwanted side-effects to your installation. For example, applications that put data on this drive before available may fail. If there is a reporting problem reported to Microsoft, you will be asked to delete this value
The effect in XP is in Windows Explorer the Vista drive letter is still there but named 'Local Disk' and no files are visible, in XP's Disk Management the drive letter is shown but no file system is visible.

Any partition that is included in Vista's System Restore monitoring will have it's System Restore points deleted if XP can 'see' it, that is if it has not been set as 'offline' using the Registry setting as shown above.

I have tried Method 1 and it does work.

For Vista Ultimate and Enterprise Editions the Bitlocker feature can be used to prevent the problem, this is explained as Method 2 at the above link.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts