1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restore second hard drive to previous state or recover deleted folder from it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lumx, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lumx

Lumx Thread Starter

Heya everyone.

I have a second hard drive in my desktop stored for media stuff ( three folders, pictures, music and videos).
    I had a folder that I wanted to move from my portable hard drive to my desktop media hard drive so I used the cut paste command (crtl+x, ctrl v) to put it in there but after it was finished, my videos folder was deleted. I don't remember getting a warning message about the deletion or any pop ups. The folder from my portable hard drive has moved successfully but now my videos folder is gone and I even can see that it made more room for my media storage now.

There is no previous version when I go into my second hard drive properties. How can I recover my videos folder back or get back to the last state?
    Thanks for reading

2. raybro

raybro

I'm not entirely sure why you used the cut/paste process to move a folder because simple drag and drop is the preferred method. Using this method, one can move the folder from one location to another or simply copy it which leaves the original in its current location.

Having said that, you might try a little program called Recuva. Its a free download.

BTW... Welcome to TSG Forums... (y) :D

3. Lumx

Lumx Thread Starter

Thank you! Trying a deep scan now.

Only reason I use cut and paste is because I grab files from work/school to save on my portable hard drive and then delete when its in my desktop media hard drive so no point in copying if I'm going to delete after and I can just use the cut paste method.

4. raybro

raybro

As I alluded to in my previous post, you can do either. In the drag and drop procedure, if one selects "copy", the file/folder will then be in both the original location and the new location. Alternatively, if one selects "Move", the file is erased from the original location and created in the new location. This can be done both within a single drive or from one drive to another using Windows Explorer (aka; File Explorer). The difference with cut/paste, is the file/folder goes directly from one location to another and not through an intermediary point (clip board) where it is vulnerable to the random power glitch or the Windows OS idiosyncrasies. There is also the possibility of operator error (i.e. do another cut/copy before pasting). Unlikely? Most certainly. I am, however, acutely aware of the validity of Murphy's Law. :eek:

What was a 3 step process, now becomes a 1 step process. Less keystrokes, more efficient (if you care about such things :D ). It all comes down to individual preferences and habits formed over time. I like to keep operations as simple as possible.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would recommend doing a Copy with important files and then after creating the Copy check that it's the same as the original using something like this :- http://www.implbits.com/HashTab/HashTabWindows.aspx
    Once you know the copy is good you can delete the original.

That program is also very useful for checking the integrity of a downloaded file.

EDIT : did you get your file(s) back using Recuva ?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!