1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restore to factory settings HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pancakes095, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pancakes095

pancakes095 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just purchased a used laptop, and i want to restore it to factory settings. Its driving me mad i cant find how to do it. It is windows 7 ultimate (and i believe that it is a dodgy copy hence why i want nothing to do with it and want to take it back to factory settings) when ever i have tried it only allows me to go back a certain time and restore to that point.
    When windows is loading and i hit F10 the screen isn't displaying what it should it shows this

Edit Boot Options

Edit Windows boot option for: Windows 7

Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition 1
    Hard Disk D9d90ac4

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

and if i hit enter it just starts loading up windows normally instead of taking me to boot options.. its driving me MAD please help...

and if u can tell i have not got any recovery disks or anything

2. Lance1

Lance1

Whats the make and model of the laptop?

3. pancakes095

its a sony vaio VPCEB2ZOE

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  5. pancakes095

I tried that the assist button isnt loading anything and the manual won't open from that link

help..

6. Lance1

Lance1

The Sony uses F10 to access the recovery partition. It look as though you don't have one on the hard drive. Is the a sticker on the laptop the give you the product key? If so it'll also give you the OS version there. If you have the CD=DVD you could reload the OS depending on the type on the disk.

7. pancakes095

sorry im a beginner you may need to dumb it down for me.. on the back of my laptop i have the product key and a whole load of other numbers

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Both those links still work for me; don't know why you are having trouble.

You can still boot into Windows, right? Check in Disk Management if there is a Recovery partition.

Chances are there was a hard drive failure and the pirated or hacked RC version was installed on the replacement drive.

9. Lance1

Lance1

Disk Management can be accessed by Right click Computer on the desktop and select Manage and then click Disk Management

10. pancakes095

yeah the computer is booting up fine everything is pretty much fine with it.. i mean it has detected that there is conferfit software on it. I managed to get into the disk managment..i dont really no what i am looking for the status is healthy (system, boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary partition)

i have no idea what it means though..

i spoke to a vaio support person to who basically told me what you just did that there is a partition missing, he said that only way is to purchase recovery disks from vaio.. is that the only way?

11. Lance1

Lance1

As Sony support says, you only have one partition (Primary) and no system recovery partition. The recovery disk that Sony offers will most likely come with Vista and will bring the laptop back to factory default.

12. pancakes095

soo im a bit slow and remembered that my sister has the same laptop as me and i used her recovery disks but as i got to 22% it said that there was an error with the disk the dvd is slightly scratched if i make a new recovery disk with her laptop will it work fine on my laptop?
    thanks so much btw for all the help :)

13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    These recover disks, are they ones that were on her machine or from the factory?
    If NOT from the factory (Sony) then they will not work on a different machine.

Why not just buy the required disks from Sony, the last time I bought any, they were about $25.00 US and well worth the money spent?

14. pancakes095

well they are the ones that were made from her machine. i spoke to sony care and they said that if it is exactly the same laptop it should work. So i am going to try and make the disk again and if it doesnt work then i will purchase it from sony.. this is driving me MAD!!!

15. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are the model numbers on both machines are exactly the same?
    If not then, then they do not have the SAME hardware, and these disks will not work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice