1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restoring Back Up DVDS

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lardbutt, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lardbutt

lardbutt Thread Starter

Hello, New here and not computer Savy. My problem is, I have recently installed Windows 7 X64. I had already backed up my files up about a month earlier using nero 7. Nero 7 installed but not properly and would not restore my files. I uninstalled Nero 7 and loaded trial version of Nero 12. It also would not restore my files. I would love to have all my files back but my main concern is my picture files. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.:(

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello lardbutt & welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Please provide the exact verbage of any error or warning messages you receive. We are brilliant, but we don't read minds & are not in front of your computer. :)

I've used Nero, but no their backup program.

Please read http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=14175
    RF123

3. lardbutt

lardbutt Thread Starter

Rainforest you answered my question. I will try again to get Nero 7 to work. Thanks.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

lardbutt:
    You are welcome

If the situation has been solved, please be so kind as to tell us how you solved the issue.

Data backup is very important. Congrats to you for doing so. May I be so bold as to offer a suggestion? In addition to using Nero, copy the files to a flash drive or optical disk. A program that I learned about from Evandil, called Cobian, will automatically copy files to flash drives. The advantage of copying files is tha they cn copied to any Windows bsed computer.

Best of success.

Keep us posted.

RF123

5. lardbutt

lardbutt Thread Starter

Here is my problem. I recently installed windows 7. I had a back up of my files done by nero 7. Nero 7 will not install properly with windows 7. Tryed 3 times. Loaded Nero 12 and it will not open back up files from nero 7. Is there something else out there that will open these back up dvds so I can get to my files? Mainly concerned with the picture files. Could I partion my hd and load xp in it and retreive my files? Never done anything like that just looking for a solution. All help and suggestion will be appreciated.

PS. Not very computer savy but I stayed in a holiday inn express last night. LOL:)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

7. lardbutt

lardbutt Thread Starter

Thanks terrynet. I thought I would word it a little diffrent and get somemore input. Rainforrest I thought I got nero 7 to work but it did not. Being you are the only one responding do you have any suggestion as to a easy way to solve this problem. Is there any program out there to open these back up disk besides nero. I do have the old xp os disk that came with the computer and though maybe a partion might work but I really would not know how to do this. I have read about people putting 2 os on one computer. I am just grasping for straws here guys. All help would be greatly appreciated.

8. lardbutt

lardbutt Thread Starter

Rainforrest, if and when I get these files off these dvds I will definitly try the flash drives. In a earlier post you ask what kind of errors I was getting. Well Nero 7 will load and the smartstart frame will pop up but no options are in it. I thought I will try it any way. Nero 7 let me open in back up restore by opening d drive but would not run in auto. would not let me type in the numbers for the back up either.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In general if you need to change the title of a thread click on 'Report" and make your request.

In this case, since you have my attention already, just tell me here the title you'd prefer. :)

If you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate look at XP Mode.

If you do not have one of those the easiest thing for you would be to find somebody with XP who will install Nero and try to extract those files and place them on a USB flash drive or whatever in a format that you can use.

Other options are to install Windows XP as a dual boot or in a virtual machine. You won't necessarily be able to activate it, but 30 days should be plenty for your purpose.

When you installed Nero 7 on Windows 7 did you use 'Troubleshoot Compatibility'?

10. lardbutt

lardbutt Thread Starter

Thanks Terrynet, I do have utimate and will look for xp mode. Have check with a few family members about them having a computer with xp. Don't have a clue about virtual mode but i will look it up and see what i can find and yes I did try to do some trouble shooting as best I know how. Thanks again.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

l :
    What is the file type on the disks?
    control panel > set view, upper right, to "large icons"
    Open folder options
    "view" tab
    check the box to the left of show or display file extensions.
    Put in the discs created with Nero.
    What is the file name. Include the .xyz part
    that is the file type

Short answer, no I don't know of a different program.
    Longer answer, but we might be able to find something.

THIS is why I do not recommed using this method for data backup.
    I recommend copying the files. It takes longer, but the files can be accessed from any Windows computer.

I have no skill at dual booting.

Is the xp cd from a big box brand such as Dell or HP? If so, it can be installed ONLY on that computer.

It can NOT be used if it has been used to install on a computer that is STILL running XP.

RF123

12. lardbutt

lardbutt Thread Starter

Rainforrest I am at work now. Will check file type when I get home. I have learn my lesson. No more backup using nero. I like the flash drive Ideal. I still know a few people that might have xp on there computers. I will check with them and might be able to use there computer to retrive my files. I will post later on file type. Thanks

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Keep us posted.

Which brand, model & model # of computer have you?

Would you consider yourself to be a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user; software & hardware considered?

RF123

14. lardbutt

lardbutt Thread Starter

I have a dell xps 4 something. 4 g ram and 250g hard drive and windows 7 now. When I first bought this computer I stayed on this forum. Read it every night at work. This is when Vista first came out because I got the free version of it with the computer. I got maybe to the intermidiate stage. For the last few years I have only been on here if I have a problem. I would say between beginner and intermidate. The problem now is I got CRS (can't remember stuff). I am 48 and can't remember nothing. lol. I can learn to do something say on the computer, and forget how next week. I am not afraid of using restore so I am not afraid to try things. I will be on later and try and find those files you ask about.

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!