[SOLVED] Restoring my computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Saltzgiver

I want to restore my computer to how it was originally shipped. I have saved all of my personal files and now I just need to restore it to its original form. I know it can be done but I just don't know how. Can anyone help me?

Hi,

What is the make/model of your system? By the wording in your previous post, I'm guessing its a big name (ie-DELL, Compaq,etc).
If so, then you should have received a restore CD along with your system. If not, then you can contact the company and order one.
Please post back with more info.

Good Luck:)

Saltzgiver

Hello,

You are correct, it is a Gateway 500 and yes I do have a System Restoration CD. I think I will be able to restore the system but what I can not do is erase the current mess on my computer. I know you can totally erase everything, but I just don't know how. I have actually saw it done before but it was a few years ago and I don't remember how. I stuck the system restoration CD in but it didn't have anything designed to accomplish what I was looking for. My OS is windows 98, and the computer has a pentiumIII 500 in it. If you need any more information please let me know. Thanks

Hi,

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read your last post. Are you sure you've got a SYSTEM restore CD, and not a SOFTWARE restore CD? They are two very different things.

OK, just to clarify, you want to completely remove all data from your system, then stick in the restore CD to get it back to it's original state, right? If this is the case, all you need to do is format your hard drive. Restart your computer in MS-DOS mode. Once you're at a c:\ prompt, type in the following:

format c: \s

Press Y to confirm when prompted.
When the format finishes, stick your Restore CD into the drive, and restart your computer. The restore should begin, (if it doesn't, you'll have to go into SETUP, and set the system to boot from CD).

:confused:

I'd like to point something out though. I've never used a Gateway restore CD, but I've used both DELL and Compaq. Both of these Restore CD's automatically format your Hard drive prior to the install, so unless Gateway is different (doubtful), you can probably just stick the CD into the drive, and reboot.

Saltzgiver

Hello,

I am back and you were right. I just popped in the restoration CD and it took me right through the process. My computer is running much better now and I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online