1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restoring the registry from a second boot hard drive.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ShadowChaos, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShadowChaos

ShadowChaos Thread Starter

I am having a problem similar to this poster problem http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/593313-solved-editing-registry-second-boot.html

I made a mistake editing my second hard drive XP registry. Now it won't boot.
    My other hard drive will still boot (what I'm writing from) I have a backup of the registry I made in regedit.exe and I download regcool and erunt. Is there a way I can restore me second hard drives registry from another bootable hard drive?

Thank you

2. Sponsor

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    If you could it would NOT do you any good as they are different.

4. ShadowChaos

No i have a back up of the original registry on the second hard drive before I edited it.

5. ShadowChaos

Also I used regedit.exe's export function to back up the second hard drives registry. Now I need to figure out how to restore the registry to the second hard drive using another hard drive boot.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

The file created with regedit is really only useful if you can boot to that particular OS to merge the file, or just need to find a particular key to restore.
    If you know exactly what key you messed up, you can use any of the steps in the other thread to load the affected hive and edit the key. You can open your backup registry file in Notepad to find the key if need be to see what the value should be.

If you are not sure of the key that caused the problem, and you had System Restore running, your best bet will be to restore the registry from one of the System Restore points.

For the following steps, make sure you are working on the 2nd hard drive, and not the one you are currently booted from, and ignore to steps to install the drive in another PC

How to restore the registry from a system restore point by connecting the drive to a 2nd PC.

1. Connect the problem hard drive as an internal drive to a working PC. You can also use an external enclosure.
      I'll refer to the problem drive as drive D: in this procedure.
      Change the letter as needed to match whatever drive letter it is shown as by the working PC.
    2. Open Windows Explorer (right click My Computer, click Explore)
    3. Change View Settings to make sure hidden and system files are visible:
      • In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View Tab
      • Check the following:
      • Display the contents of system folders (not present in Win2K)
      • Show hidden files and folders
      • Uncheck the following:
      • Hide extensions for known file types (WinXP)
      • Hide file extensions for known file types (Win2K)
      • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
    4. Double click the D: drive in the left pane of Windows Explorer
      We now need to take ownership of the System Volume Information folder shown in the right pane. Follow the steps from this article: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
      Once done, double click the System Volume Information folder in the right pane.
    5. Double click the _restore{... folder in the right pane (there will be a bunch of numbers/letters after the {, different on each system)
    6. Click on the View menu, then on Details
      You should see a list of folders named RPxxx, where xxx will be a number.
    7. In the right pane, click twice on the Date Modified column heading.
      This will sort the folders by date with the newest one at the top.
    8. Check the dates of the folders, and find one with a date BEFORE you made the changes that caused the system to stop booting.
    9. Double click on the RPxxx folder selected above
    10. Double click on the snapshot folder in the right pane
    11. In the left pane we need to make D:\Windows\system32\config visible:
      • Click the plus sign in front of D:\Windows
      • Click the plus sign in front of D:\Windows\system32
      • Scroll the windows as needed so that D:\Windows\System32\Config is visible in the left pane.
    12. Copy the following files to D:\Windows\System32\Config by dragging each one and dropping it on the D:\Windows\System32\Config folder in the left pane:
      • _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
      • _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
      • _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
      • _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
      • _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
    13. Now, click on the D:\Windows\System32\Config folder in the left pane
    14. Rename the following files (highlight each file and press F2, then edit the name):
      • Rename DEFAULT to DEFAULT.bak
      • Rename SAM to SAM.bak
      • Rename SECURITY to SECURITY.bak
      • Rename SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE.bak
      • Rename SYSTEM to SYSTEM.bak
    15. Now rename these files:
      • Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
      • Rename _REGISTRY_USER_SAM to SAM
      • Rename _REGISTRY_USER_SECURITY to SECURITY
      • Rename _REGISTRY_USER_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
      • Rename _REGISTRY_USER_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
    16. Replace the drive into the original PC. It should now boot.
    17. This only replaces the registry hive, not any system files, so there is a chance that previous restore points will no longer work, as System Restore may detect inconsistancies if there were any major changes.

Once you are satisfied that the system is working correctly, you can delete the *.bak files from D:\Windows\system32\config

Another good way to backup the registry is to use the built-in Windows Backup. Just uncheck everything but System State. That will place a copy of the registry into the Windows\Repair folder. It also saves key system files into a backup file -- you can delete the backup file it creates if all you are doing is backing up the registry.

This should be done on any OEM system at least once -- this will insure that the hive files in the Windows\Repair folder can be used on that system

HTH

Jerry

7. ShadowChaos

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions! I will try this and tell you if it works.

8. ShadowChaos

Sorry to double post but this deserves it!

It worked! thank you so much! I will save and pass on this information.

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome!
    Glad it worked, and thanks for the update.

If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

[​IMG]

10. ShadowChaos

Yes I see credit is due where credit is deserved. Thank you

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!