1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Restrict Local C access for specific users

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Magician595, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Magician595

Magician595 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have found where to apply the policy for restricting access to local C drive on my windows 7 PC, but it does it for all users, including myself, which is no use. Can someone please help?

Jim

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Did you not have the option to apply the policy to none administrators??

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Where is this policy setting? I do not remember encountering that in local security policy.

What do you want to achieve? Do you want to prevent users from changing files in drive C ?

4. DaveBurnett

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi Dave, which configuration item is he talking about?

6. DaveBurnett

It doesn't matter what HE was looking for. What I was using that example for was how to get at the editor.
    Open it and look for the restriction you are interested in. I would have to look for it to tell you where it is and I feel sure you can do that yourself.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi Magician595,

You would have to point me to where you were looking at, as your statement above is a little fuzzy. Off the top of my head, I could think of 3 ways to restrict 'access' to C drive: Software Restriction Policy, AppLocker and Access Control Lists.

8. Magician595

Hi guys,

Your responses are much appreciated. I was trying to hide the local drive and prevent access to it through local group policy. After some more research you can apparently not do this to just a single user, even with myself as admin and a second user as standard, rather irritating.

My solution:
    Hide local C with GPO and restrict program access with parental controls.

Unless someone has a cleaner idea, mine is a little messy.

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi Magician595 ,

Do you have Windows 7 Ultimate ? If so, you can use AppLocker to prevent access to applications, yet allow access to those programs if you are an admin. It is located in GPO here: Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Application Control Policies > AppLocker.

Note that Windows 7 Pro GPO also shows this setting in GPO, but the feature cannot be activated.

10. Magician595

It is only windows 7 enterprise. I will have a look at the AppLocker as the parental controls seem to be slightly ineffective. Your help is much appreciated Lunar.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!