1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Resume Website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Justawind, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

I wanted to make a website to put my resume on. Tips? Suggestions? Better yet, is it worthwhile to do this?

2. oksteve

oksteve

your spamming ET

Justawind, Placing a Resume' online is a nice idea but could be used but others with not so good intentions.

You can secure a web page and only give out a password to those you wish to see it.
    But that can be problematic too.

What kind of work do you do ?

3. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

I work for HP on the Oracle account doing tier 2 tech support in a call center. I also dabble in web design. The site wouldnt be anything fancy and I would like to secure it via password or something.

4. oksteve

oksteve

If that kind of thing is popular in your line of work then by all means go for it.
    I may be old fashioned but I would have thought prospective employers would have preferred physical more than virtual resume's.

However we are here to try and help just like you do in Tech support.
    Your going to be blasted with various choices to host a site.
    Some are good some crap.
    You need one that is reliable and won't crash just when you don't need it too.
    You want one without adverts..obviously.
    Free one would be nice to start, in case you change your mind later.
    You might like your own domain name, that can be problematic but doable.
    With adding SSL to your site then your provider has to supply it.

I would not have too many photos there, the text would have to be clear and to the point,
    Examples of your work would be helpful as with any comments by past or existing employers.
    You could have a short video presentation, but nothing childish and not very long.
    Keep it to two pages max, and no music.
    Of course please search this site for hosting suggestions.

I would pay monthly for something important as a resume' and that can be as little as a couple of dollars a month. Always check the small print and domain name transfers especially.

There is a running thread here http://forums.techguy.org/web-design-development/916546-my-webhosting-hunt.html#post7343248
    Keep checking here for others more knowledgable than me to offer advise.
    And if you do create a resume online post the url so we can see how it turned out

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Nearly all employers want a resume submitted in electronic format, so I'm not sure what the point is in putting it on a personal website.

6. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

That is why I was asking before I spent the money on a site. I think for now will stay with a .doc format and just roll from there.

7. oksteve

oksteve

Good Luck with your career:)

8. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

Actually am trying to get out of the call center and do something more hands on or desk side. But thanks!

9. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

10. skyhigh007

skyhigh007

I think this is what you need. Resume

11. oksteve

oksteve

get together a 5 year plan. Decide where you want to be in 5 years, nothing too ambitious and nothing under ambitious.
    Break that time into little easy to do steps.
    Allow for mishaps, disasters and family commitments.
    Stick to the plan. You don't have to like it but it makes it easier, so build that in too.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice