1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Retail & OEM?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sgl1, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

What are the differences between the two? I need to buy an os for my new computer and the cost difference is quite drastic. Can I do the same things with each version?

Also, XP Home or XP Pro? I plan to play games so would Home be a better choice?

Thanks.

2. bobol

bobol

If you can afford it I'd go with retail, a bit more flexibility. Especially if you have to do a reinstall of xp, the OEM version if reinstalled, starts everything from when you first started it-day one[need to back up personal items].... With retail version you use the cd to do a 'repair install' and not worry about losing saved programs
    OEM has nearly all set up for you ready to go.

Edit; Disregard the above...I got mixed up!

XP home suitable better for games//entertainment more. Just make sure you have lots of RAM for your games.

Browse through this site regarding preferences for firewall/anti virus/ online security software. If you go with retail you can partition your drive during installation-my personal suggestion...keep a hefty partition or two for your games exclusively.[You can still use 'disk management' xp tool at the outset with OEM I believe to partition your C [system] drive]

Let us know if you need more advice/opinions.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I disagree bobol.

You confuse OEM with recovery disks, they are very different.

With OEM there is no difference whatever to full retail apart from the license conditions. It belongs with the hardware with which it was purchased, and can not be transferred or sold without the hardware being also transferred or sold.

Support is from the seller, and not from MS, but apart from that all is the same. Updates are from MS just the same.

I would buy OEM every time for the $ saving, its not a real limitation in the EULA.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Actually, you can perform a repair install with an OEM Version also.

Retail does give you more flexibility . . the license allows you to move it to another machine while OEM license is only for one machine forever.

OEM does not give you rights to Microsoft Support ( still not sure if that is a plus or a minus )

The resulting operating system is the same . . OEM costs less.

See this for differences between Home and Pro Editions . . few home users need the additional features in Pro.

wrs

5. bobol

bobol

I had a feeling I did... sorry 'bout that. :rolleyes:

6. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Ok, so looking like Home retail is the one to go with. I once had heard the Pro version is less "buggy" but I've heard Home works well for most. Thanks for the input guys.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

I have installed around a hundred Home Editions . . around 50 Professional Editions . . I have found no difference in "buggyness" between the two . . "Buggyness" factor increases in direct proportion to the level of Spyware, trojans and Junkware installed on the systems.

wrs

8. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Are you saying I cannot install an oem version more than once?

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot install any version of WIndows on more than one machine at a time, if that is the question? Under the licence you never have been able to.

OEM license means that once it is installed on a PC, in theory you cannot delete it and reinstall it on another PC. In practice you might be able to, but we are talking about legalities.

10. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Ah ok. I get it. Legalize. Never had much use for it. Thats what attorneys are for.

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

With XP it is more than legalities, there is the Activation process that may stop you from dual-installing.

That effects every version, OEM or not.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice