1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Retreive Outlook data from slave drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mcmommy, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcmommy

mcmommy Thread Starter

I have replaced my hard drive am now using the old one as a slave. Due to the way my computer failed, I was not able to create a psd file of my Outlook data, however the hard drive is complete and undamaged. Is there a way to open Outlook on the slave drive and retrieve that data? There is no email account associated with Outlook, I'm looking for contact and appointment info, not emails.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look for the pst file

In XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

3. mcmommy

mcmommy Thread Starter

There is no pst file, I was not able to do a backup before I had to replace the hard drive. (also, it would be on D:\)

There is a DAT, FAV, NK2, and a SRS file. No pst file.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    why would it be on D:\

did you use outlook for you contacts and calendar ?

are you sure you used outlook and not outlook express

5. mcmommy

mcmommy Thread Starter

Absolutely sure, I don't have Outlook Express, never did. D: is now the slave drive, I have not moved any data, it's as it was when it was C:\. My C:\ now has Windows XP and minimal software as I'm still reinstalling. I installed Office and when I opened Outlook I realized that I didn't have the backup. Tried uninstalling and opening Outlook from D:\, as it's still there as well, but wouldn't open as it's not registered to the "new" user.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have just setup outlook 2003 on a PC and set no email - so just calendar and contacts - and it created a PST file
    so it should be in
    D:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    unless its being hidden as system file /folder

so at a bit of a loss
    have you tried a search across the d:\ drive for *.pst

7. mcmommy

mcmommy Thread Starter

Success! My initial search did not include hidden folders. Thanks for this - I will reinstall Office and import the pst file - saved a great deal of aggro, this did.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    (y) - when complete you can mark this thread solved - button at top of page "Mark Solved"

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/960016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice