1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: retrieving contacts from outlook?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jjohnson20, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjohnson20

jjohnson20 Thread Starter

Is it possible to retrieve a contact list from a backup?
    Reason I ask is that I made a full system backup in order to wipe my drive and start clean. I also exported all my documents to cd beforehand. However, I failed to save my contact list to the cd.

So can I just restore contacts and nothing else?

I run Win XP pro P IV w/ office XP pro, and used MS backup.
    TIA,
    Jesse

2. jjohnson20

Gratuitous Bump.

Anyone able to help me out on this one?

TIA,
    Jesse

3. billroland

billroland

I do not think you can retrieve just the contact list, however I think it may be possible to retrieve contacts plus all email etc. you had when you made the backup.

I do not claim to be any type of computer guru, but I have recently had almost the exact problem, so I am going to tell you how I resolved my problem and you decide whether you want to try the same.

1 The first thing I did and suggest you do also is save a copy of the current outlook folder in a work folder for safe keeping just in case.

2 You will find that you will need a total of 3 files located in the outlook folder " archive.pst, extend.dat and outlook.pst." DO NOT restore to original location, make ANOTHER work folder.

3 Copy the 3 files you restored from backup to the current outlook folder.

I was not able to combine the few contacts and emails I got when I first started using the new installed outlook.

Good Luck
    Bill Roland

4. jjohnson20

Thanks for the reply Bill. I appreciate your help.

Thing is, I don't SEE an outlook folder in my backup anywhere. Where would it be located? I've gone down most of the "pertinent" spots I thought to look?

Jesse

5. billroland

billroland

6. jjohnson20

Thanks again Bill. Sent you an Email.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!