1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Return last known value if False in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by zachncolorado, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zachncolorado

zachncolorado Thread Starter

Hey,

I am trying to create a simple Line chart based on values that change daily. However, I'm working in a rather full and complex excel file and the chart would be just a nice touch, so I would love for it to update itself as the values are changed. What I mean is, I don't want to have to enter a date and the value for each date day by day. I was hoping there may be a way for a cell to return its last known value so that I can use the following formula:
    Cell B1:
    =IF(A1=(Today's date),C1(The value), Last Known Value). This way if it is the correct date then B1 will change to today's value(C1), if not then it ill change to its last known value (so if its specified date was yesterday, yesterday's value will be shown, if not then it can have a default blank value)

Column A will be a series of dates and Column B will end up being that days values.

If this is too much to ask, is there a way to have a daily history of a cell's value be generated somewhere in the same sheet or on another sheet?

2. zachncolorado

zachncolorado Thread Starter

Figured it out. I Used a nested IF function which returned itself in cases where I didn't want it to change from its previous value.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!