1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Return of an old problem after Windows 10 install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Roadgiant, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

Finally installed Windows 10 today, initially like the look of it with one problem so far,a couple of months ago I was having an issue with the display freezing and then recovering even under reasonably light usage, here's the link:-

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1150346-display-driver-has-stopped-responding.html

The solution at the time was to uninstall the latest drivers,(at that time 353.06) and go back to using a slightly older version 347.88

With the installation of Windows along with the 353.62 driver that comes with it, the problem has started up again, but there is no way of using the 347.88 driver, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance RG

Video Card,is NVIDIA GeForce GT 620

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

why can't you go back to the previous drivers like you did before?

3. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

Tried it but on reboot Windows 10 seems to reinstall the latest driver, unless I am missing something, you can't use an older driver,will give it another go later

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  5. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

You shouldn't need to disable updates.
    Press the Windows flag key + R and in the open run field type: sysdm.cpl (press enter)
    Click on the Hardware tab → Device Installation Settings → Check No, let me choose what to do.
    Check, Never install driver software from Windows Update.

**Edit, not sure if Home version can do this. Can someone verify? If not, my apologies....

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, I just did it with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

7. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Thanks Terry.

8. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

Thanks guys, will give it a try later on, sounds like that should work,I still have a copy of the 347.88 driver in my download folder, should I just let it install where it wants to or choose somewhere else?

9. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

I would let it install where it wants, just insure to perform a clean install (attached picture).
    You can ignore the big arrow if you want.

Attached Files:

10. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

All done now and working correctly,thanks once again all
    RG

11. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Thread Starter

As a follow up to this, every so often I suddenly seem to find that the driver has been updated and find myself having to manually roll back to the 347.88 driver even though I have the following :-
    Hardware tab; Device Installation Settings ; Check No, let me choose what to do.
    Check, Never install driver software from Windows Update.

see attached file,any suggestions for a permanent solution or should I just stick with rolling back every so often?
    thanks RG

Attached Files:

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Permanent" is probably out of the question, but better would be: Windows 8.1; Windows 7; any Linux distribution.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!