1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Returnil Reviews?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kyle7119, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kyle7119

kyle7119 Thread Starter

2. Plantsman

Plantsman

It's not an antivrus program but as the name implies a virtual system whereby your real O/S is mirrored and run in what is called a 'kiosk' thus protecting the original from harm. Deep Freeze is another product and one I personally find superior in it's effectiveness and operation. Check it out here.

http://www.faronics.com/html/Deepfreeze.asp

3. kyle7119

kyle7119 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I am looking for something free. Is Windows SteadyState any good? Are there any other programs like this that are freeware?

4. Plantsman

Plantsman

I've heard some speak well of Windows Steadystate, have no experience of it myself. There is another called Sandboxie which is free for personal use. My guess is you will have to live with some limitations with the free stuff but despite that you may think them OK for your purposes. Deep Freeze is invincible by comparison.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

No it is not an Antivirus program. I refer more to it as a system protection. And good system protection at that. I gave this link to one my teachers at college a couple of years ago and he has been using it non stop since with absolutely no virus or malware protection running on that computer. He teaches the security and forensics classes at my old college. He said he has thrown every virus and malware he could at it and nothing has penetrated it.

Now for the average user I still wouldn't suggest not running Antivirus, but I too have been using Returnil on my main laptop with no Antivirus and haven't had any issues.

I know Deep Freeze is a great program and Returnil Premium can do some of the things that Deep Freeze can do as well but the free version just basically provides system protection. You can't do saved state and roll back to that saved state like the premium version can.

Sandboxie is just for installing and running software into a Virtual environment. It is not full system protection like Deep Freeze and Returnil. That is also another program like SandBoxie called Altiris SVS.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1941342,00.asp

For the average home user I highly recommend Returnil. Deep Freeze is more for business driven. Granted you can buy a single license for $45 but that is still almost twice as much as Returnil Permium. And the average home user isn't going to use all the features of Deep Freeze.

6. kyle7119

kyle7119 Thread Starter

Ok, I think that I will stick with Returnil then. Will the free version be enough for my purposes?

7. Squashman

That depends on what you need it to do?

I have always wanted to play around with Windows Steady State. I got to talk with the programmers two years ago when I was out at Microsoft.

8. kyle7119

kyle7119 Thread Starter

All I want to use it for is anti-virus purposes.

9. Squashman

As two of us has stated before, Returnil is not AntiVirus software. It does not detect or remove or actively scan for viruses. It acts more as a system protection. When you have Returnil turned on, anything you do on your computer will be lost when you reboot. Any changes you try to make to your system drive "C:" will be lost when you reboot. So in essence if you download a virus and it infects your system, all it is doing is infecting the virtual environment when system protection is turned on. When you reboot the infection and the virus should be gone.

10. kyle7119

kyle7119 Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't make this clear to you, but I understand how this works and that it is not specifically designed as an anti-virus program. However, if I am only using it in case I get a virus, do I need the premium version?

11. Squashman

I don't think you need premium unless you want to save a session state. But I don't want you to rely on this as a cure all for a virus. All it is going to take is one time for you to not have System Protection or Session Lock turned on and you are basically back to being infected again. I would still run some antivirus on the computer as well.

12. Squashman

I leave system protection turned on all the time. So when the computer boots up it is automatically in the virtual environment. Occasionally I turn it off and run Windows Update, reboot and turn it right back on. You still have to be diligent about your computer security. I don't want you to get lackadaisical and fubar something.

13. kyle7119

kyle7119 Thread Starter

14. kyle7119

kyle7119 Thread Starter

15. kyle7119

kyle7119 Thread Starter

With the Returnil System Folder Relocation Tool, how do I create a new partition for these files?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/805410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice