1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Returnil Virtual software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by buf, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Returnil Pro 2011:
    I recently downloaded and installed this software using a link that provided the software for free. Now that I have it, I am really confused about it's use. I will gladly accept anyone's help to help me understand the purpose of and how to use it. Is it's purpose similar to VMare (VMPlayer)?
    I am lost reading the User Manual.
    Just spent 30 minutes trying to find the link I used; finally found it and I hope it is still available: http://dottech.org/freebies/20399

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's a fantastic tool that I wish more people used (or something like it).

Basically, it allows you to run your system in a virtual environment and save your real system so that it can't get infected. All changes are lost on reboot (except for those you have make accomodations for within the software). So all malware is gone.

What seems to be the problem? If you have it installed, then when you rebooted, you probably booted into the virtual world. Check the tray icon for options and settings.

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thank you so much for replying Elvandil. There is much to learn about the operation of the software. I surely like the concept of the software but I think I am just being "thickheaded". I am not at all sure what mode my system is in after booting and I do not want to muck up my Windows 7 installation. Returnil is running when I boot up but then I quickly become more lost. I seem to recall using this software a long time ago and the logo was a green color at times and it was red at other times. The color indicated the mode my system was in, I seem to recall. I do not recall changing any of the preferences because of this uncertainlty.
    BTW, is the link to the free download still active? (I did not try it before posting but sometimes a link is not taken down when the expiration date occurs.) I just remembered; use of this free software expires 12-15-11 but still that is a free year's use.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, and by a year's time, they will have a new version.

It has become a bit more complex than it was originally. Antivirus has been added. that would seem to be superfluous, But I imagine that people misusing the software and turning it off too often allowed infections to take hold which Returnil then was blamed for. So they probably saw the wisdom of adding this new layer of protection. Frankly, if you know what you are doing, you don't need AV. But keep it until you are sure.

Some of the new features involve making it easier to save changes to the system. Though I am not running it at the moment, I can still make some general comments about it, though you should check their help for details.

It allows you to set up an area that is not protected by Returnil, such as a partition on a second drive. That way, you can save downloads and documents and have them still there when you reboot and the system returns to its original state. Otherwise, all changes made to the system, bookmarks saved, programs installed, downloads, settings changes, etc. are gone when you reboot. But look through its options (and Help) to find out ways of saving some changes without going through the entire process of rebooting with Returnil turned off.

It is not really a piece of software that is useful to people who make many frequent changes to their systems. It becomes a pain in that case and disk imaging is probably a better safety measure (or browser virtualization only, with something like SafeSpace or SandboxIE). But if the changes you make are not too frequent, then it really protects your system well and you can pretty much do whatever you want on the internet without fear of infection.

There are other programs like it. DeepFreeze is another and is very similar.

Personally, I prefer to run individual programs in a virtual environment with Altiris software. Programs can be installed and run virtually, sort of like portables, and programs that normally would be in conflict on your system can be run together since they are really running on separate, "mini" systems that are isolated from one another. Of course, browsers run virtually are also immune to infections since they can be easily cleaned, removed or replaced in the virtual system without having any effect at all on your larger, real system.

5. buf

buf Thread Starter

Elvandil, I do greatly appreciate your time and sharing of knowledge/suggestions with this software. I find that I am making too many changes to my HDD and so I have now removed the software. The biggest interest I had in it was I could experiment without harming my OS and HDD. Because I downloaded, and saved, the install .exe, I can reinstall it at a later date if I change my ways and my mind. At least I think I can and I also saved the registration code. And if I can't, I have at least tried it.
    BTW, the link to this free software appears to be still active.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice