1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Reusing Google Images on my website

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by piscespassion, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

I was Google searching on how to use Google Images for my website, and according to the following link (scrolling down to Using Google Image Search to Find Photos You Can Use) I can find images that are technically "labeled for reuse":
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Using_Photos_On_Your_Website
    But the article also says that "you just need to quickly check how you can use it, many require a link back to their site for you to do this", which pretty much takes me back to square one... so I'm wondering, since I personally don't mind doing that (requesting permission and/or using a link), is this normal? Or is it tacky? Cus I don't recall seeing visible "links" on images in other websites, as something of the "norm" that is... right?

ADD: Most of the images coming up with the above mentioned search options (labeled for reuse) come up in Creative Commons (flickr.com) and have this:
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/deed.en
    which I'm afraid I didn't understand entirely...

2. Saifee

Saifee

piscespassion, many people make website using most of the google images.
    I dont think you need to be worried about anything. creative commons works under wikipedia. i once tried taking a logo and putting it on wikipedia article, it was immediatley deleted due to reuse. but it was wikipedia.

it is good to use and put your own work on website. but as far as google is concerned, everyone use their images.

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Creative commons is independent of Wikipedia, but it is true that much 'pedia content is release under that license. Incidentally to Saifee, Wikipedia only wants one copy of a given image stored which is why it was deleted. You should have linked back to the copy that was already there.

That's all very well from a convenience standpoint, but if you want your site to be legal you'll need to be a bit more careful. It isn't google's images, it is the images stored on millions of sites all over the net, and if the owners of those sites don't want the images shared it is their right to keep them to themselves. However if something is shared under that CC license you're OK, they explicitly don't want to keep it for themselves.

4. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Quality sites shoot their own images,
    or use a paid stock image (example: $1/image via iStockPhoto)

There is no "Google Images" -- that's just a search of what exists on other sites.

And before anybody thinks "oh, they'll never know" -- no -- not true. There are plagiarism tools online that extend to not just text, but photo and audio and video. I use these tools weekly, and send several DMCAs per month to the unsavory content thieves (or more often, their hosts), and it often results in their sites going down completely (host cancels their account).

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    But presumably you don't release your pictures under a CC sharealike license.

6. sepala

sepala

There are lots of LOYALTY FREE image sites in the internet. Just type "Loyalty Free Images" in google. Some are completly free, but some have conditions.

7. ehymel

ehymel

I think you mean "royalty free"...

8. sepala

sepala

ohhhhh goodness!!!! I didn't see that mistake. Ya ya, I mean Royalty Free.

9. namenotfound

namenotfound

Where do I find said online tools, I'm interested to know if anyone is using any of my images?

10. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Try this site. http://tineye.com

11. sepala

sepala

wow..Great!!!!(y)(y)(y) BookMarked!!

12. namenotfound

namenotfound

13. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

Wow...
    Sorry folks, I've been down with pneumonia since latter January and just started coming out of it. Therefore I'm just now reading all of this and had no idea how much of a big deal this all was.
    I sure appreciate all the info and comments from "everyone"!!
    Thx folks~
    PS: Just FYI, tineye website is "down"...

14. sepala

sepala

Really? Hope you are OK now...Get well soon:)..

Ohhh god....

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice