Solved: revert file extension back to .dbx

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Morny

Hi, I had changed the location of my emails to a separate folder on my C-drive for easy backup. Because you cannot open the dbx files from here, I right-clicked on 1 email and chose 'open with' and chose Notepad but this in turn changed all of the emails. However, I still couldn't read any emails. The file extension is still dbx but the icon is that of the Notepad. How can I change this back to the correct icon (not notepad) please?
From Maureen

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Morny

Right click on a .dbx file again, you should have the opportunity to choose Outlook Express, make sure there is a check mark in: Always use the selected program when opening this kind of file

If Outlook Express does not show as an option in the list of programs to use, use the Choose Program option and select Outlook Express or Browse to Outlook Express.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

Morny

I managed to get the icons back yesterday as they should be by using system restore. I just did as you said but all it does is open OE and no mail comes in and I've just noticed that all the icons (in C-Drive) now have a small blue icon possibly OE (too small to see). Although this next bit is another matter, I redirected my mail from the original place in OE to a folder on my C-drive so that I could back these up easily but I would like to put this back as it was but I don't know the root.
Morny

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online