1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Revisit a Favorite,,, Trojans??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Graiskye, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Graiskye

Graiskye Thread Starter

Hello I am just wondering the proper method for removing "Virii"(?), viruses?? I see reference to doing the removals while in safe mode. I have not heard of this before, but it makes sense. I also turn off 'System Restore'?? I'm downloading stuff all the time, mostly game mods and what not.Haven't really had too many problems but from time to time Ill get one, usually w32 troj, and sometimes Avast will have trouble deleting it. So if I know where the infected file is I can remove using the proper process. Basically just need a simple primer, is what I stated above correct?? Thanks lots, Graiskye

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Simply removing a file in safe mode is not the answer.

Usually it leaves the registry key which will then reference a missing file, with an error each time.

Using a program such as HiJack This to fix it at registry level, then where required delete the file in safe mode (if needed) would be preferred.

Even better is to use basic logical actions when surfing to avoid installing the malware in the first place....

Clicking "yes" to install unknown applications, or using P2P is the sure way to get infected.

3. EvileYe

EvileYe

Those basic logical actions can also be applied to P2P.
    I use P2P on a very regular basis and have done for around 5 years with no infections.
    P2P can be used safely, if the correct precautions are taken.

4. Graiskye

Graiskye Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I too use the P2P with very few problems. I get very few viruses,(4-5 in the past 6 mos). I did a scan on my sisters computer last week, her computer had 25 trojans, but shes got three little kids surfing and dl'ing all the time. The thing I am interested in is the removal once the Virus is in? Any help on that end is what Im really curious about??? Thanks again, do feel free to post your thoughts on subject. Grai

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A good antivirus program should stop them getting in, and remove them if they do.

But it is useless unless updated at least once per week.

I would consider that 4 viruses in 6 months is an abysmal record! Do you not run an updated AV program?

6. Graiskye

Graiskye Thread Starter

Well, given the amount I download, Im happy with the antivirus. Avast 4.5 pro updated all the time(auto). The fact that Ive got the four or five virus's, only asures me the A.V. is doing as it should. I think Im being misunderstood. The thing I was wondering about was simply the procedure for removing a stubborn virus. As I understand it the AV, is supposed to 'unload' the application or file while it attempts to deal with the virus in the prescribed way. I guess safe mode is a way of making sure that the AV can remove virus without being encumbered by running processes??? Anyways gotta jet thnx a lot. Graiskye

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324773

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice