1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Revo Uninstaller Advanced Mode

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by reticentAJ, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reticentAJ

reticentAJ Thread Starter

First Name:
    AJ
    From reading other forums on here, I recently learned to never use a tool to clean the registry. I have never used one, but never knew not to use one. The advanced mode of revo uninstaller does clean the registry. The only forum I could find on this situation was this one:
    http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/916641-revo-uninstaller-question.html

In that forum, nobody was against using the advanced feature, they actually encouraged it, even though you are never supposed to clean the registry? That's why I'm confused. Basically, my question is what is the difference between using revo's advanced mode to clean the registry compared to other programs that clean the registry?

2. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

Revo isn't a reg cleaner per se, it's an uninstaller but advanced enough to be able to clean any registry entries left behind by the program being deleted. Whereas reg cleaners search for certain devoid entries in the registry and often choose entries which are still being used in some way or another and when these are deleted it can bugger up the registry.

Even using the advanced feature in Revo you have to be careful. I always back up the registry first whenever I use CCleaner or Revo etc with a nifty program called Erunt (it;'s more reliable than the windows one.)

3. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Ah. Alright that makes more sense. But you use ccleaner to clean up the registry??

4. raybro

raybro

Never use the Registry Cleaner Tool in CCleaner.

As indicated by Laz123, the registry aspect of Revo is targeted at specific program entries related to the program you are uninstalling. Having said that, I never use the Advanced mode of Revo. I've found the Moderate setting to be adequate for anything I've uninstalled. One cannot be too careful when doing anything with the registry.

5. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Yeah, I found out not to use the registry cleaner in cclear, but the way laz123 put it, made it sound like he does use the registry cleaner. Thanks for the info.

6. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

Just to clarify, no, I never touch the registry with CCleaner, but all the many other tools I do use.

7. reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Ah. Alright. Sorry about that. That's just what I got from what you said.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice