1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ridiculously slow Wireless-N

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chart2006, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chart2006

chart2006 Thread Starter

I have two computers connected to a Linksys dual band Wireless-N router and the firmware is up to date. Both computer are dual band Wireless-N as well. I also have full signal strength for both computers and the routers encryption is set to WPA2/WPA however I am getting incredibly slow speeds for transferring files. I'm trying to transfer a 10GB file from one to the other. It first started out at over 2MB/s but then over the span of a few minutes plummeted to the 400KB/s range. After sitting around there for 10 minutes it has began to slowly go back up but has been holding at just over the 600KB/s range for quite some time.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The first thing I would try before getting into trouble shooting is to connect one of the computers by ethernet and turn off its wireless.

If that improves things considerably then there may be no problem--just the two wireless connections fighting each other. If there is only a little improvement then maybe you are suffering wireless interference (e.g., from another wireless network) or a problem with the router.

3. chart2006

chart2006 Thread Starter

I started troubleshooting prior to your suggestion of me to not do so until I tried wired first. I assumed interference especially since I live in a large apartment complex. The data rate "speed" according to Microsoft (I know this is far from accurate due to communication between devices and other factors) was sitting just over 100 Mbps for my laptop and 133 Mbps for my desktop. Figuring it was interference I changed the routers settings to allow for the 5 GHz range which unfortunately drastically reduced my signal but significantly increased my throughput which bumped me up to just above 5MB/s of a transfer rate. At least the router allows for the use of both frequencies at the same time because my roommate doesn't have a dual band wireless N. There are roughly 17 routers using the 2.4 GHZ spectrum all in range but all are using either channels, 1, 6, 9, or 11 which is why when i originally set up my 2.4 i manually set it to a channel not in use.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good deal. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!