1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: RIGHT CLICK and mouse WHEEL QUIT WORKING

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by redhawk50, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

Several days ago I noticed three of the icons on my desktop had changed from pictures to generic blue boxes.
    A few days later I noticed the mouse wheel didn't scroll anymore. Then the right click button quit working. This is a wired, optical mouse. So I tried 2 different wireless optical mice with no change.
    I've read 15, maybe 20 previous post with "right click" problems in the title and of the questions asked in those post, here are the ones I've gotten answers to..... so far:

Yes, I did a System Restore back to a time well before the problem.

Yes, I checked the Device Manager, says "working properly"

Yep, checked for updated driver, says driver up to date.

Yes, I switched right and left button functions.
    (BIG MISTAKE!!! Not only did the RIGHT button still not work, but then the LEFT BUTTON didn't work
    either!! Had to hit the reset button and rebooted in safe mode. Used keyboard to click on "system
    restore". After that system restore the three icons came back on the desktop!! But no help for the
    mouse.)

Yes, I set up a new account with Admin authority. Opened the account and tried the mouse, No change.

YES!! A RAY OF HOPE!! I tried the keyboard CONTEXT BUTTON and the MENU CAME UP!!! But when I used it on the "My Computer" icon and on the desktop, only two options showed: "Properties" and "Open Windows Explorer". And they appeared, NOT where the cursor arrow was pointing, but just above the "Start" icon, looking like the rest of the options might be hidden behind the task bar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. But please try to remember not to send me to download something that I have to RIGHT CLICK to download! (Grin) Just kidding, the context button may work for that.

TSG System Info follows.

Thanks for any suggestions

"Hawk"

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3799 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset, 1675 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 473094 MB, Free - 433545 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3032h
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015, Updated and Enabled

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What are the icons that changed? I'm trying to determine if these are shortcuts (lnk extensions) are some of the basic Windows 7 icons.

3. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Plodr! Or is it Liz?
    All three icons were shortcuts. They were "Wise Register Cleaner", "Wise Disc Cleaner" and I'm not sure about the other one, but I think it may have been "Malwarebytes".

4. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

I feel like I should check with you before I make any kind of changes. So let me ask, while I'm waiting would it be ok to run some virus/malware scans? Download and run some new virus/malware programs? (Just in case it's being caused by a virus, Trojan, malware, etc. ?) Or would doing that possibly complicate things?

"Hawk"

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    First I'd uninstall Wise registry Cleaner. Registry Cleaners can do more harm than good. It is better not to use anything. (In fact, if you ran it recently that could account for some of the bizarre things you are noticing).

Next remove Wise Disk Cleaner. You can use Windows inbuilt tool for disk cleanup and then defrag provided your hard drive is not an ssd.

Remove the shortcut to MBAM on your desktop. Find Malwarebytes in your program listing and run it. We can get a new desktop shortcut later.
    Does it find anything?

6. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

Ok, Done!
    I uninstalled Wise registry cleaner and Wise disk cleaner. Sent shortcuts for MBAM, both Wise programs and SUPERantispyware (just in case?) to recycle bin. Emptied Recycle Bin. Ran defrag, updated MBAM and ran it. Nothing found.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Is the MBAM icon on the desktop staying okay?

What brand and exact model of mouse is it?

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Great advice from Liz :) Check this out also on Cleaners and Optimizers from one of our Tech's.

9. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

I'm confused, I removed the MBAM icon from my desktop per your instructions. If you're asking me if it came back, after I removed it, the answer is no.
    The only info shown on this mouse is: USB Optical Mouse, HID compliant mouse, manfg: Microsoft. It's a wired, optical mouse. The other two mice that I tried and had the same problem with, were wireless laser mice. Do you need the make and model on them too?

10. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

Thanks captainron276 ! I'm a believer! Not only about the registry cleaners, but about the
    cross and 3 nails too! ;-)

Hawk

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry, I assumed, incorrectly, that you had put another shortcut on the desktop for MBAM.
    You can do that know.
    Go into All Programs and open the Malwarebyte's folder. When you see the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, right click that entry and select Send to and select Desktop as shortcut.

No, I just need your current wired mouse whose scrollwheel and right click have disappeared. It MS. Turn it over and see if there is a model number on it.

Or does it look like any of these 8?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...007653 50001149 600009595 600009586 600009613

12. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

OK....... you know I CAN'T "... right click.." that entry and select Send to and select Desktop as shortcut".
    But was able to use the context button on the keyboard instead of right clicking. I now have a short cut on the desktop. But it doesn't look like the MBAM icon, it looks like a folder with the words "shortcut to Malwarebytes..." under it.
    Looking at the bottom of the mouse, I see: "MO-M1OU" then a barcode. Below that is: 878294 022264 below that is S/N: IMJSO14031120117 Nowhere on the mouse is the word Microsoft.
    You do remember that I tried TWO OTHER mouses and they both HAD THE SAME PROBLEM as the one I'm using, right?

13. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yup, I know you had a problem with 3 mice.
    Duh, stupid of me to tell you to right click when that is one of your problems. Picture me giving myself a head slap.
    Here's your mouse.
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MO-M10U-PB

Run sfc /scannow
    some files must be damaged.

As far as the mouse and right click not working must everyone says "replace the mouse". Obviously that solution doesn't help you.

14. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

Yep, that's my mouse.
    I ran sfc /scannow. There was a very quick, almost unnoticeable, flash of a black rectangle, but no change in the mouse problem. Oops! See next post below!

You say "some files must be damaged." That just "feels" right to me. I'm new to Windows 7, so I know very little about it, but doesn't it have some type of Windows Repair program that finds and fixes damaged files and replaces missing files?

15. redhawk50

redhawk50 Thread Starter

Oops! I DID NOT run sfc /scannow! Not seeing "RUN" when I clicked on "START" like in Windows XP, I went looking for it and found one in "Accessories", which is where I typed the command and got a flash of the black DOS window. But I just learned what I SHOULD have done in Windows7 is type "cmd" in the "Search" block, then right click, and click on "Run as Administrator", THEN type the command sfc /scannow. So I tried that, but got stopped cold at "RIGHT CLICK". Unlike some other applications, the context key wouldn't open the menu in the DOS window.
    Any ideas?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice