1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Right click function intermittently stops within Word Pad files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hhannam, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I looked at numerous "right click" problems on this forum via search, but I didn't find any that matched my problem exactly.

For reasons unknown to me, and without recognizing any particular pattern (except that it seems it occurs most often after the computer has been idle for extended periods), my right click function ceases to work, but only within my "Word Pad" documents. I keep my to-do list on a Word Pad document and that is where I most often find that it is not working. This function continues to work properly in all other formats (web pages, browser, Open Office Word documents, etc.) but for some reason the right click menu ceases appearing within Word Pad and the only remedy is to reboot the computer.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this right-click function to stop working only within the Word Pad documents, but remain functioning in all other formats?

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Never heard of this...Can you try something for me? Highlight a paragraph and then right click...Odd suggestion but try it. If it still doesn't work I'll look more into it.

3. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    To VictoriaiiCe: Once again, as previously mentioned, I came back to my computer which had been left on for a few hours, and the right click function was not functioning. I learned this after seeing a notice of your reply in my mail inbox and then going to my "to do" page to see first if my right click function was working. After highlighting a few sentences with the left click function I right clicked, and the menu failed to appear.

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Ok. What if you select text then click on edit next to file on top of the page and select copy?

5. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    2nd reply to VictoriaiiCe:

Firstly....thank you. After completing your instructions and I right-clicked....the menu (magically) reappeared....amazing. The question now is, will I have to repeat this each time my right click function ceases to operate? Do you have any idea why this suggestion of yours reinstated the right click function, or why this function is ceasing to begin with? I certainly appreciate your help....I at a minimum now have a way to get it functioning again without having to take the time for a complete reboot.

6. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

I'm sure you won't have this problem again if you do- Select text in word pad and follow the same instructions (it's a pain) I know but it's better then not having the option to copy and paste the easy way right? Glad I can help :)

7. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Glad you were able to help also.....it was a very persistent and annoying occurrence, so the sense of relief is terrific. By the way....take it from an old fellow.....I'm truly impressed with your three B's....Beautiful, Brilliant and from Brooklyn too.....some folks are truly gifted...ha! I have no doubt you'll do just fine in this world...best of luck.

8. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Why thank you! I needed that actually I'm having a rough night! You're so sweet :) If you ever need anything you know where to find me. And the best of luck to you as well ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice