1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Right Click > New > Options Missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cfink001, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cfink001

cfink001 Thread Starter

I had a thread about this before, but I'm back where I started. This time, tweak UI is not working for me.

[​IMG]

When a user purchases or reformats Windows XP, what are the default options for the File>New or Right-Click>New, and how can I restore them? I know I'm missing creating new text documents, but I know there must be other items as well.

Thank you for your help in advance (and past help! you guys are great).

2. bingo24

bingo24

Hello cfink100, are you missing the complete right-click context menu?

3. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

you could add new text document in the right click menu by editing the registry;
    Open notepad and make a new .txt file.name this "new text document" and save this file to (C):\Windows\shellnew
    go to start>run> and type regedit.
    in reg editor go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and search for .txt extension
    go to shellnew, if you don't see Nullfile, create one by right clicking and selecting new>string value, name it nullfile.
    Exit reg editor and restart windows.
    you can add other stuffs this way in the "new" right click menu.

4. techychick

techychick

5. cfink001

cfink001 Thread Starter

Not exactly. As you can see from the image, I do have options available. However, I would like to restore the "defaults" present on fresh copy of XP, mostly the new text document option.

Techychick, thank you for the suggestion, however the registry entry did not work.

Mojolookout, your solution worked and restored the new text document option. I now know how to resolve this problem in the future. I use the new text document quite often.

Thanks for all of your support everyone!

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

cfink001, If you go to the link below and scroll down to line 395 (left column) you'll find a "Remove or Restore "New" Context Menu" reg file fix. Thought I'd post this for your info if it would be applicable to the problem you had and solved.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

7. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

thanks for the feedback. glad that worked out

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702562