Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Right Click > New > Options Missing

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mojolookout 
#1 ·
I had a thread about this before, but I'm back where I started. This time, tweak UI is not working for me.

When a user purchases or reformats Windows XP, what are the default options for the File>New or Right-Click>New, and how can I restore them? I know I'm missing creating new text documents, but I know there must be other items as well.

Thank you for your help in advance (and past help! you guys are great).

See less See more
#3 ·
you could add new text document in the right click menu by editing the registry;
Open notepad and make a new .txt file.name this "new text document" and save this file to (C):\Windows\shellnew
go to start>run> and type regedit.
in reg editor go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and search for .txt extension
go to shellnew, if you don't see Nullfile, create one by right clicking and selecting new>string value, name it nullfile.
Exit reg editor and restart windows.
you can add other stuffs this way in the "new" right click menu.

#5 ·
Hello cfink100, are you missing the complete right-click context menu?
Not exactly. As you can see from the image, I do have options available. However, I would like to restore the "defaults" present on fresh copy of XP, mostly the new text document option.

Techychick, thank you for the suggestion, however the registry entry did not work.

Mojolookout, your solution worked and restored the new text document option. I now know how to resolve this problem in the future. I use the new text document quite often.

Thanks for all of your support everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.