1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Right click on C drive runs an install program

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ftjoe, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ftjoe

ftjoe Thread Starter

Recently cleaned up a friend's very infected machine. The jury is still out as to how much damage was done (specifically to the registry), but something weird is going on. When I right click the C drive in My Computer, the EZ CD Creator 5 install program starts executing. I didn't see a autorun.inf file or on the drive which is the only thing I can think of. Any ideas?

Figured I'd add some more info. I've installed a second drive to take backups to. Backup of 12G of data to the drive while the OS was up took 1.5 hours, took much less from an emergency disk, weird. XP SP2 256K memory. I'm also getting a windowformsparkingwindow popup on a shutdown. Reasonably sure this is due to HP stuff on the machine. Java is busted up but I wanted to start getting the backups going before uninstalling that and reinstalling.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. ftjoe

ftjoe Thread Starter

Will give it a shot, I always forget about the restore defaults option, thanx.

4. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome.

You should always try the simplest fix first.

5. ftjoe

ftjoe Thread Starter

Okay - I had him open up the Cdrive, tools, folder options and restore defaults, apply and ok. Still runs the roxio installer when the right mouse button is pressed.

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

7. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

ftjoe, You could also try the "Drive Association Fix (Restores default settings for hard drives)" fix at the link below. Instructions are on the page.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Tufenuf

8. natcom

natcom

if Roxio is not install on that machine just go into the registry and cleanup anything Roxio related if it is install uninstall from add and remove programs

9. ftjoe

ftjoe Thread Starter

Windows Installer Cleanup seemed to do the trick, thanx.

10. devil_himself

devil_himself

Glad We Could Help

You can use the "Thread Tools" at the top to Mark the Thread as "Solved"

11. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for letting us know you corrected the problem and I marked you thread solved.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650538

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice