1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] ringing noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deuce, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Lately, every now and then when I shut down I get this high pitched ringing coming from my computer. It will stop when I cut standby power (the switch on back of the ps). I haven't been able to pin-point it yet. It only happens once every few days. Custom built, everything is under 5 months old.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ringing, as in like a phone?

3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

ringing as in a high pitched noise. (of constant pitch) Just like that you hear sometimes in the back of your ear when it is really quiet, just louder and definately coming from the pc. It gets louder when you stick your ear next to the case and stops when you turn it on or switch the switch on the back to off and no standby power is going to the mobo.

4. Siriusbusiness

Siriusbusiness

Your comp may have Tinitus, sorry couldn't resist that but seriously though maybe a fan has gone bad or possibly something is rubbing off something else a wire maybe, only a suggestion.
    Good luck.

5. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

But this is when the computer is shut off, but standby power is going to the mobo. If I turn the computer on or switch the stand-by switch off, the ringing stops. I have tried to locate exactly were it is coming from and it is too hard to tell because it is so high pitched. My guess is that it is coming from the mobo... the only real place it seems it can come from.

6. Marturo

Marturo Guest

Do you feel you can rule out mechanical? Mechanical would change pitch and duration. Electrical would be constant as long as the voltage was constant. Leaking electrial componants will present hi piched noises. What componants are live in this mode? Have you removed any I/Os yet to start pinpointing the MOBO yet? Are you set up and running now? OS ect. Marturo

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it is electrical.
    That is what I am thinking is happening. It sounds like it is coming from the mobo itself, not I/O devices but I haven't pulled any out yet to see. OS has been up and running since August.

8. Marturo

Marturo Guest

I think you have an interesting problem, that will take a creative approch to finding the problem. I would take as much cover away as possable from the case. Then being careful look into the case in the dark, looking for any arcing on or around the MOBO, connectors, and the I/O cards. If you can see nothing then start removing an I/O card and replacing it, and go to the next. a special tool of mine is a paper tube from a roll of paper towels, it let's you get in close and blocks out surounding sound while consentrating sound in 1 small area. I hope that some of these tricks, will help get you closer to finding the problem. Do it by the numbers, and write down everything you do it you may start to see a pattern. Are there any other symtoms out of the ordinary? Marturo

9. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

No symptoms. Just the other week it would do it every couple of days. Sometimes it is louder than others, and sometimes it is so loud and high pitched I have to switch the standby power off to stop it. Nothing has been touched in the case for a few months, and it just started this the other week. I will try your tricks for locating the source for the sound, but it may be hard, since it doesn't do it all the time. It hasn't down it since I think Sunday.

BTW... now that I think of it, I did notice a few months ago that when you switch off standby power it sometimes makes this (sorry... hard to describe) annoying, but very soft squeak... almost like someone took a long piece of suran wrap and with a dry finger, ran that finger along it for about an inch. (as annoying and sounding similar to someone runing their finger nails down a chalk board :eek: --I had a prof that always accidentally did that all the time and I still have practically nightmares about it :rolleyes: makes me shutter when I think about it :rolleyes: ) Anyway, in all the work I have done on computers I have never seen (or I should say heard) that before so I though maybe it has something to do with it. Also, sometimes after it makes that sound and you switch standby back on it won't turn on. You have to switch it off again and then back on again.

10. Marturo

Marturo Guest

These are the problems I like the best NITB (Not in the book) I haven't asked. How long have you been building Computers? As a young mechanic I changed a lot of oil & cleaned parts. The older Master Mechanics had an ability to hear the little noises, and the two things I learned then, was most of what you will encounter will not be in the book & the higher percentage of the problems will be simple to fix. I did not say simple to figure out the cause. As the decades went by I began to find the source of the problem much faster, I believe it was because I left everything behind execpt for the basics. If I were to bring into the hunt a preconcieved thought, it would always take me longer to find the cause. Simply put I trusted my instincts, like when you are asked how much, and you just answer it's right most times but if you think about it to long, you get it wrong. I have built hundreds of racing engines ect. After 3 decades in persuit of building better and stronger Machines I retired. I could not live long without a chalange so Computers found me, the cutting edge of NITB. You built this Computer & brought it to life. Who knows this machine better than you? First if you feel that it is not a mechanical noise. What components stay hot with the ATX power supply, what componants are cold? Have you formed at least 1 intelegent guess? I have learned from your post this time that the noise changes in volume, you can't get it to repeat the noise on demand & the power switch has to be double cycled to obtain power sometimes. I have built 8 new Computers. I have fixed as many as people will give me to learn on. I have had hardware failures as quick as now, with parts in the new Computers. I have seen how easy it is to fix older computers that go on from there being problems, I believe due to old parts perhaps. I read a series of posts the other day that the Enlite boxes I have used and like to use have poor power supplies some say. One thing tells me you are a good builder is you have not just started changing parts until it quits, you really want to know just what this is. So do I. like a vaccum leak you need to pin point the area first. How many power supplies have you come across, that you had to work the switch twice to get power & what was the cause? I'll let you go about some testing now. Let's see if we can put the parts of the puzzle together so we can get on to more problems yet to come. Good hunting Mike, Marturo

11. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I have been using computers since about 88 and been building hem since about 95. I am in the same boat as you with these things... although I have only built 6. I fix, refurbish, gut, tweak and play around with whatever is thrown my way.. and most important... use them to learn more. :) This is difinately NITB. I didn't think it would be though. My guess it is coming from the mobo somewhere, just don't know where. What is odd is it started out of the blue. All components are high end-stuff. As soon as it does it again I try some testing. Could very well be the ps.

12. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

OK Marturo... got it figured out. I unhooked everything fromt he power supple and not only does it still make the noise, but it makes it all the time and is intensified about 20 times and is so loud and high pitched that you just have to shut it off... and when you do for about four seconds it makes this sound like the one you used to hear when you shot a duck in duck hunt on the old nintendo. :rolleyes: (or like the sound of a bomb dropping in an old arcade game) I worked out a deal in getting a new ps with a guy in town... so I should have it all taken care of in the next few days. :) Thanks for your help on this one... :)

13. Marturo

Marturo Guest

Good job Duce_mn
    What brand PS is it? What are you going back in with. I am going to try something different. I have some AT PSs laying around, so I thought about remote mounting one and running all my extra Fans like the two 40mms in the heat sink/2 fan bay cooler for my HD. Also and other case fans that don't have to run off the MOBO or the boxes PS, and have a seprate lit fan switch that will let me run the fans after shut down, or just at will. Sure will take a load off the main PS. Stayin cool and useing parts for the fun of it. Marturo

14. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

So do you have a full tower case? I guess if you have it laying around you would save the money of buying a bigger ps as they get quite expensive the higher wattage you go. (I mean the increase in prices gets bigger between equal steps up in wattage) Would take a little modifying of the case yourself though to get the second ps in. Good luck in figuring it all out. :) Power supply is a Deer 300W. What brand should I go back in with? I am getting a free exchange so I assume I will be getting the same thing back... but I would like to get at least a 450, if not 500W in place of it.

15. Marturo

Marturo Guest

I'm using an Enlight ATX 300watt and planed to take a separate AT PS mounted remotely, with wireing running back into the midtower to take a load off the ATX300. After all when am I going to build an AT Computer system again? At this point the AT PSs are only good for providing power to fans in our main boxes. My idea is just to have more cooling options than if I was only running a 300 watt PS. It will also allow me to leave the fans running for 1 hour(On timer) after I power off my Computer. I haven't read anywhere that you can't use an AT PS to remotely power extra fans in your main box, besides I have a bunch of AT PSs and you know how much more the ATX PSs cost after you get past 300 watts. Marturo

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice