1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Robocopy in Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lexicon, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lexicon

lexicon Thread Starter

hi friends.
    here is my batch file to copy all data from C:\Data to N:\Full Backup\DD Directory using robocopy.exe in windows Vista
    Code:
    robocopy "C:\DATA" "N:\Full Backup\DD"  /S /B /256 /R:10 /W:10
    pause
    and the directory depth is really really really long but i guess the /256 should be able to handle it. I don't know why it's not working.
    Directory Structure: C:\DATA\office secretary\Office Board\General Assembly of our Office\19th FIN Jepaul General Assembly & Board Metting 2009 September\18th General Assembly & Board Mtd 21& 22 August 2009
    FileName: GA 18 - Apolgoy Letter to sir for. shawai for his signature- Sept. 2.doc
    C
    This is the output when i run the batch file
    can anybody please guide me how to handle such long and stupid filenames. I'm sure the problem is not only in Vista.
    Thankyou verymuch for your suggestions ..
    Thanks
    lexi

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

That particular path is 259 characters.
    The /256 switch turns OFF long path support, meaning it will fail with long paths. Try removing that switch.

3. lexicon

lexicon Thread Starter

Thanks TheOutCastle.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice