1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kirandbl, Sep 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirandbl

kirandbl Thread Starter

My Internet cable is rj45. If i connect that cable directly to my pc, and set up the connection (PPPoe, requires a username and pass), i can access the internet.
    then i bought a tp-link wr841n router which has a Wan (rj45) i/p socket.
    and i ran the tp-links setup software, configured the router with the username and pass, but still it wont connect to the internet.
    and help please ?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Possibly your ISP is tracking the MAC Address of the device connected. Clone the MAC Address of your computer to the router's WAN (the router will have an option to do that--often automatically).

If that doesn't work, what IP address is assigned to your computer when it has internet access (just give the first two parts if you are concerned about posting the entire address)?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I assume the modem as been rebooted?

I would also recommend the MAC Cloning if the ISP is holding onto that information.

4. kirandbl

kirandbl Thread Starter

Yes, i did cloned the pc's MAC id ti the router and after reboot it worked. Thank you guys . :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice