Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Router connected to another router, slower internet

958 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I have Linksys wireless router, and I've been using that for awhile, no problems with it.

I had a 50 foot CAT5 cable sitting around and as well, an old D-Link DI-604 wired router, so I decided to turn the router, into a switch so can I hardwire my Desktop and PS3.

I have the Port 2 Linksys router outputting the internet to the WAN D-Link wired router using the 50 foot cable, and then using Port 1 and 2 to my Desktop and PS3, respectively.

Everything on the Desktop and PS3 side seems to be great, i've noticed web pages loading times decrease.

Except that the computer which is hardwired to my Linksys wireless router, is awfully snail slow.

Is it because the D-Link router is a Router and not a switch, that this problem is happening?

Edit - I've been reading that this is more complicated then a simple plug and go. I have to disable the DHCP and everything, everytime I try to log into my D-Link router, it'll get into the routers main page, but nothing will load after I try to click 'LAN' or 'WAN' or 'DHCP'

Edit 2 - Alright, so I have changed my 2nd router to disable the DHCP and changed the IP to be different from my 1st router, and everything seems good except for one thing. When I plug in my PS3 to either Port 3 or Port 4, the whole network is crippled, and nothing connects. Very interesting. I'm going to replace the CAT6 cable from my PS3 to my router-switch with a crossover cable, i've got a feeling it's because of that.[/b]

Edit 3 - I figured out that uPnP was enabled, so I disabled it, I'm not having anymore problems. I guess I solved my own issue LOL

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.