1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router Dropping Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FRZN21, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FRZN21

FRZN21 Thread Starter

Afternoon,

I have a Linksys Wireless B router which is located in my basement. I have one dell computer hooked to the internet via ethernet cable. I have a another computer located on the main floor accessing the internet via wireless B adapter card. My third computer is located upstairs and is hooked by a wireless G adapter. Hooking up my encrpyted secured network was successful but I have a constant problem.

The constant problem that I run into is live streaming video, music etc. The moment I want to view a video clip the internet crashes. This is also true for the computer connected via ethernet cable. It's almost as if when any computer connected to the router accesses trailer clips or live streaming the router automatically shuts down my connection. I have tried adjusting the router settings but have come up short to fix the problem. Once the wireless drop occurs, I simply just reboot the router and everything works just as it used to until someone views live streaming. Is there an option in the router settings (I have read through the manual 2x) to fix this error. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Welcome, FRZN21.

Maybe it's time for a router upgrade. That poor ol' B router may just be exhausted trying to keep up with all this new fangled streaming stuff. :)

3. FRZN21

FRZN21 Thread Starter

I was afraid that I might get that answer. I have been looking to upgrade and was interested in the Linksys G I believe model # is WRE54-G. I have been advised that I should pay for the most expensive model so that I can upgrade the linux firmware unto it. Any thoughts or inputs on fast, dependable, inexpensive routers?

Thanks for the quick response Terry!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably can't help on finding the most expensive router; I always look for the bargains on the regular 802.11g 54Mbps wireless routers. Those are plenty good enough for my needs.

5. Crusnik

Crusnik

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!