1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: router hacking (prevention)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TRS-80 vet, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed Thread Starter

My router has remote management capability.

In that setting box, it has:

1) Enable remote management:
    2) IP Address:
    3) Port:

1 is not checked
    2 has an asterisk. I cannot delete it. It comes back up after saving with it deleted. The manual says it's a security risk; any computer could log on. HUH? Any of MY computers? Or an internet computer?
    3 has port 8080 by default.

Little help? Why does the asterisk come back up?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What is the make and model of the router?
    Yes it is a security risk to turn on Remote Management. I would't turn it on if I were you. Unless you want someone to brute force your network.

3. TRS-80 vet

I don't want remote management. If it's from outside, that is... That's why I'm leaving the enable box UN-checked. I cannot delete the asterisk from the IP box

I'm not knowing however if remote management meant 'by another computer in my house'.

It's an eHome eh100.

Thanks...

Attached Files:

4. jmwills

jmwills

The safest way to do this would be to have a Remote connection back to your machine and from that point you could make a router change if necessary.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

In this case the term "remote" is anything from the WAN or OUTSIDE connection. Anything on the LAN or inside the house should be able to access it by just opening up a web browser and logging in.

Turning this off completely won't affect anything internally at all.

6. TRS-80 vet

Understood willis, techy... But,

I do not want RM enabled. The problem is that the asterisk in the 'IP address box' is a default value for ANY IP address to log on. The manual says it is a security risk to have that value in there.

My question is, is it a security risk to have that value in there, EVEN THO' THE 'ENABLE RM BOX IS UNCHECKED?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have unchecked the box, RM is not enabled. Don't worry about the IP specification, it's meaningless.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice