1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router keeps dropping internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DexterDave, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DexterDave

DexterDave Thread Starter

Good Day

My router at work is working fine, at least for LANing...as for its connection to the internet, it keeps dropping the connection.

The router will be connected to the internet for say an hour or 2, sometimes more, and then it drops the connection. Usually a router restart(either from the web interface or by pressing the on/off button) fixes it, but only for a while.

What could the problem be? ISP?

Is there anything else I can do from my side to fix this problem?

Thank you

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the status of the lights on the router when it disconnects

make and model of the router
    if you also have a separate Modem - make and model of the modem and the status of the lights on the modem - also if you have a separate modem - and connect a PC to it do you drop the connection

who is the ISP - is it via telephone or via cable
    if telephone - have you connected the router to the main socket for the telephone - also disconnect all other equipment from the telephone sockets and extension sockets
    i dont know the setup in your country , do you have filters on each telephone socket or one for the main line into the house ?

3. DexterDave

thank you for your answer, and apologies for the late reply - It basically happened every morning, and I just turn the router off and back on and then it was working fine for a couple of hours...So I actually went into the router config (192.168.0.1) and restarted it from there...and the router hasn't given any problems since then...So I believe the restart fixed it - What's your take?

Answers to your questions:
    Status when disconnected: All light green except the internet one (globe icon)
    ISP is telephone
    Router: Netgear N300
    It is a typical work office setup - not a house...So I believ there has to be one or two sockets each having its own filter(I cannot see and don't want to strip the office's network..my boss will not be impressed...)

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    a factory reset may have fixed the issue, only time will tell now

5. DexterDave

Hi etaf. Apologies for the late reply...After rebooting the router from the web interface, it worked well for a couple of days before giving problems again, but less than before. I think if this problem persists, I will do a 30-30-30 factory reset, that certainly must solve the problem. Doing a factory reset I assume I will need to setup a new wifi password and everyone on the wifi will need to reconnect again even if the new password (after the reset) is the same as the old password?

Thank you for your answer

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you use the old password and the wireless names SSID is the same and security type the same - everyone who has a save wireless profile on the PC - should just connect again OK

7. DexterDave

thank you. did the reset and everthing seems fine now. If it gives issues again, I will contact the ISP or check other hardware such as filters etc

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    (y) thanks for letting us know

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice