1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router no longer connects to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Furby, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Furby

Furby Thread Starter

I have the Linksys WRT150N v1.1 router. I have been using it for about 1 and a half years with no problems. My OS is Windows Vista and I am on a broadband/cable connection.

Everything was running fine until this morning. I turned on my PC and was given a message about limited connectivity. I checked my connection settings and it said I was on a "Local" network. I looked at the router. All lights were still on. I checked my cable modem. Everything was fine there too.
    First I reset my cable modem. Didn't work. Then I reset the router. Still didn't work. I flushed my DNS cache, tried both static and dynamic IPs and tried connecting with another PC. Nothing.

I have my PCs, XBOX and PS3 connected by wire and use my DS wirelessly. None of them can connect through the router now... Though when I tried my PS3, it gave me a message saying that it couldn't connect because of a DNS error.

I called my ISP. They ran me through the basics and said everything looked fine on their end.

I then bypassed the router and connected strait to the cable modem. IT WORKED! Even my PS3 worked this way. No errors.
    Any ideas what may have caused this or how to fix it? I have not installed any new programs in the last month and, other than today, I haven't touched the router settings in 6 months.

Please help!

Oh. And I can still access the router through my browser. Like I said, everything looks fine. I just can't figure this out... :confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it. Remember to power cycle your modem when switching from computer to router (or vice versa).

If it still does not get you internet access login to the router and see if there are any hints in the WAN (internet) status page or any error logs.

3. Furby

Furby Thread Starter

Many thanks, TerryNet! That worked!
    I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't think of that... :eek:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) No reason to be embarrassed; it's not intuitive that you sometimes have to reset a router to factory defaults to convince it to behave normally. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/841620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice