1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: router not working after service...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fabiogump, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

okay here's what going on.

This weekend I had my cable modem replaced and work was done to the outside cable connection after my internet went kaput over the weekend.

Everything is fixed but when I hooked up my router to the modem for my network, I couldn't get a connection thought it.

One thing I noticed is that I can't access router. I'm starting to wonder if it has died. It keeps giving my bad password even though I've reset it and entering the factory passwords.

2. IMM

IMM

modem model and internet provider?
    router make and model?
    Did someone put access software (pppoe or whatever) on the computer with the new modem?

Have you tried disconnecting the modem from router, then powering up the modem and then the computer (in that order) to see if you then have access to the router?
    Did someone change the settings on the NIC to 10BaseT to talk to the modem and not return them to auto or whatever?

3. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

ah I new I was forgeting valuable information..

Cable modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB4100
    ISP:zoom internet/Armstrong Cable
    Router is a Netgear RP614
    No new software was installed that I know of. All the cable company did was swap hardware.

Computer #1 Running win98SE
    Computer #2 Runs SuSe 9.1/KDE3.5 linux

I have computer #1 connected directly to the modem right now, works fine.

The only settings that I know have been played with is in winipcfg, and that's only when I put the router on the modem and reset the connection.

4. IMM

IMM

This one may get interesting - that modem can also function as a router I think (depending how it's set)

Did you manage to get into your netgear - with no modem attached (and starting from a fresh power up)?
    I'd guess you need an ip such as 192.168.1.10 or similar for your computer and 192.168.0.1 as the address of the router? (reset the router may also be wise for this attempt)

----edit
    I think that the factory reset should default to
    admin
    password

but I've seen (somewhere on the net) that the password is sometimes 1234 instead of password
    for that netgear (but not entirely positive) -- and at the risk of being insulting - I guess I'll also ask if you checked the CAPS lock state of the keyboard?

5. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

yes I did, late last night. Somehow I remembered the password for it. It still won't connect when hooked to the modem.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you change from a computer connected to the modem to the router, you MUST power cycle the modem for it to recognize the new MAC address. Try that and see if the router doesn't suddenly find the modem.

7. Fabiogump

Fabiogump Thread Starter

It works. Who'd of thunk it.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sometimes the easy solutions are the best. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice