1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router PACKET COLLISIONS - Red LED - OUCH

Discussion in 'Networking' started by squeezin, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

Hmm, where to start... Ok, Hi :p Basically ive noticed packet collisions on my router via the red LED instead of the usually wonderful green LED.

Im using a Linksys WCG200 cable gateway router with the modem built in.

Ive seen it happen before a while ago when i was downloading multiple files at the same time, but never had the problem since, until now.....i think....

But now the collisions occur thru my local two computer wired intranet.
    Let say im grabbing files off my downstairs computer to my upstairs computer...or transfer files back to the downstairs computer for that matter also. The LED activity light for my upstairs computer has almost a continuous RED LED during the whole transfer in either direction. so i think so far....im just piecing this together now..:eek:

For starters, does this mean that the files i transfered are going to be corrupted....they seem fine so far?

Secondly, what now...?? i cant figure out if there is something i should configure in my router? and why its always the LED pertaining to the upstairs computer...shouldnt it be both?

Any help is always greatly appreciated....i couldnt find much on the subject anywhere, including the linksys site. :mad:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, collisions are a fact of life on most Ethernet links, and don't cause data corruption for TCP packets. Ethernet uses what is called Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection or CSMA/CD for a short form.

If you're suddenly getting more collisions, you may have more traffic on the link, a changed configuration, or some other issue. You might also have a bad cable or NIC that is streaming and causing the issue. When did the issue start? What changed around that time?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Can you also confirm that both machines are wired into the router via ethernet cable?

4. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

EDIT : SOLVED !!!!!! Details at bottom :p

Phew Johnwill, i thought i was gonna have to go through all the stuff i transfered and see what made it through OK. :eek:

To be honest, the router is downstairs and i rarely ever transfered files to and from the upstairs computer. I just happened to do some back and fourth transfering the other day and noticed the collision...it may have been going on for a while...or forever for that matter. Or something thats just come about recently....no idea. :eek:

The computers are both hard wired CAT 5E ethernet cables.
    As for "NIC that is streaming and causing the issue" I dont follow. :(

Ill start with the NIC's errr NIC for that matter, since it is only the port that goes to my upstairs computer that has the collisions.

I tried a little while ago sending huge files to and from the upstairs computer, and both ways of the transfer do i get the collisons on port 3 (my upstairs computer). :mad:
    It's possible it's the cable since it did put it in myself. :rolleyes: But i tested it with a ethernet cable tester before and after i ran the cable upstairs....but...ill test again if i can get ahold of a cable tester again.

Bah, need sleep..screen getting fuzzy. Thanks for the prompt responses (y)

EDIT wrap up :

OK, so it was bothering me and i had to tinker with the issue before going to bed :rolleyes:

Ok, started out with changing the port that the cable was plugged into for the upstairs computer..figured maybe a bad port on the router, nah....still collisions. :mad:

So i grabbed my dads laptop and plugged it in to the ethernet cable that i was having trouble with on the upstairs computer.
    Plugged in the laptop and low and behold...no collisons. :rolleyes:
    Plugged the cable back into the problem computer upstairs....collisons during transfer again. Now what, you son of a...errrr.

Think...think...think...think...bam. So on a whim i decided to uninstall the ethernet card via the device manager. Uninstalled it, rebooted, let XP reconfigure the card and drivers.....and BINGO was his name O. No more collisons.:D

I never came across this issue before that a NIC driver would cause packet collisons and bring data transfer from one computer to another to a creeping halt.
    Ahhh, theres nothing a beer and blurry eyes cant fix.:p

Now if i can only figure out why everytime i put in a "smiley" in the text here at TSG posts, it scrolls me all the way back up to the top of my reply that im typing. So frustrating when i got a alot to say... :mad: Bah, it did it again... LOL. But thats another thread.

Thanks all for the info.

Johnwill, i would still like to be filled in a bit on the NIC streaming though if you dont mind. Cant find much on it anywhere.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, a NIC "streaming" means it's continuously sending out junk, usually because it died. I'm not sure what was going on with your drivers, but all's well that ends well. :D

6. squeezin

squeezin Thread Starter

Ah, i see. Kinda like a robots last breath....:)
    Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice