1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Router problems: PPPoE

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ria Bacon, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ria Bacon

Ria Bacon Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my wireless network once again, in another continent, with new hardware.

Basic setup:
    WinXP PC
    Thomson SpeedTouch 530 v6 modem
    Phoebe wireless router

Everything *should* be working. The modem recognizes the router as a peripheral and attributes an IP address. However, this is only done when I run the router setup with automatic login, i.e. no user name or password. The router then says that the server (modem?) is found and that Internet access is fine. It is not, of course.

when I re-do the router setup with PPPoE (the correct one for DSL connection, no?), the router cannot establish internet access.

For further details, see the rest of the text below.

Here is the ipconfig/all with the modem attached directly to the PC by ethernet. Note that the wireless connection is inactive, although it *should* be active, i.e. the WLAN LED is lit on the router, and the signal strength is excellent according to the PC. However, the PC cannot acquire an IP address from the router. I cannot ping it either on its default 192.168.1.1 (why is that showing in the modem default gatway below?).

With this config., Internet access is good, but the wireless router is out of the loop and I only have direct access from PC to modem via ethernet.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : newcomputer
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit
    Ethernet Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 11, 2008 12:58:30 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:58:30 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : FreeLan 802.11g Wireless PCI Card

Now what follows is weird. When I connect the modem to the router via ethernet, the router gives an IP address immediately, and I can access the router's config pages without problem using 192.168.1.1. According to the router, the internet connection is there and the server (modem) is found. However, I have no internet connection and can no longer access the modem's config pages, nor ping it on 192.168.1.254, its default IP.
    Windows IP Configuration.

Below is the ipcong/all for the situation described in the previous paragraph.

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : newcomputer
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit
    Ethernet Controller

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : FreeLan 802.11g Wireless PCI Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 11, 2008 1:53:08 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:53:08 PM
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Thomson SpeedTouch 530 v6 is a modem/router combo. Both routers are using the same LAN subnet (192.168.1.x), which is why you do not get internet access when you connect them. You have 3 choices, of which I think the 3rd is the best.

1. Bridge (bypass the router function) the Thomson modem/router, and configure the Phoebe's WAN the same way the Thomson's WAN is now set.

2. Connect the two routers the way you are doing now but change the Phoebe's LAN to something else, say 192.168.3.x.

3. Use the Phoebe as an ethernet switch and wireless access point ...

JohnWill's procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Terry needs to update his cut/paste library. :D

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What? You don't like seeing your "old" posts? :)

I know I need some new copies; just hasn't made it to the top of the priority list yet.

5. Ria Bacon

Ria Bacon Thread Starter

TerryNet, you were right to point out that my modem is a modem/router. I had seen discussion of this in Frenchlanguage fora, but because my documentation made no mention of the router function, I presumed mine was a more basic version.

Thanks Terry for putting me onto John's walkthrough. John, thanks for forcing the counterintuitive trick of linking the primary router to the secondary router's LAN (obvious when you understand how they communicate).

You've both made a family in West Africa very happy. Now I can take the laptop to a cooler, mosquito-free part of the house by going wireless.

Greetings from Senegal.

Ria
    (Ria blogs at riabacon.com)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I try to keep all of my house mosquito-free! :D

Glad we could help. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice