1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: router question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by acesnick, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acesnick

acesnick Thread Starter

Hi, I currently have a netgear wndr3400v2 and the default ip address is 192.168.1.1 . Now, I have an old router which is a dlink dir-615 and the default router is 192.168.0.1 . The problem is my current router doesnt support VPN connection compare to the dlink dir-615 so im planning to switch my router from netgear to dlink.

The problem is the people on the house is configured with their own ip addresses (static) and if I change the router, they need to setup their own ip address manually. I don't want to do that because i knw one person here will get mad at me for messing up the network. I only want to connect our network more secure.

So here's my question. Provided that I'm still gonna use the same wifi username and password with the same security, will changing the dlink router ip from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 will work their wi-fi internet without reconfiguring their pcs? I know that the netgear router is much better than the dlink one but I wanna connect to vpn using router. I have the option to just use a desktop client but I still wanna use the network thru vpn.

Please advise. Thanks. :)

note: dd-wrt only supports netgeart wndr3400v1 not v2 so its still not an option for me. Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, just change the IP and you may also need to change the DHCP range to use 192.168.1.x depends how requested - you should be able to log in with a PC connected by cable and set up before you actually replace the router

you may have to powercycle

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
    • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
    • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes,
    • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
    • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. acesnick

acesnick Thread Starter

Yes I will also change the DHCP range for that. Thank you so much for the help. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice